Calculate Total Collisions of Free Electrons in Extension Cord

  • Thread starter Thread starter fubag
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Wire
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 13K views
fubag
Messages
105
Reaction score
0
A current of I=8.0\;\rm A is flowing in a typical extension cord of length L=3.00 m. The cord is made of copper wire with diameter d=1.5mm.

The charge of the electron is e=1.6 *10^{-19} C. The resistivity of copper is \rho=1.7 *10^{-8}\; Omega*m. The concentration of free electrons in copper is n=8.5 *10^{28}\;m^{-3}.

Find the total number of collisions ( N_c) that all free electrons in this extension cord undergo in one second.

I know Velocity(drift) = 3.3 * 10^-4 m/s.

I tried to relate the formula V_d = a*Tau, to find Tau the time between collisions...

However given the information I was stuck solving for a = eE/M_e, because I could not determine the electric field...

Can someone please assist me on what information I might be missing?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
ok so since no one seems to have a clue about this problem...

any suggestions of where I may be able to find the answer?