Calculate Volume of Diving Bell Air Space at 50m Depth

  • Thread starter Thread starter winterwind
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Chemistry
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 7K views
winterwind
Messages
28
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


A diving bell has an air space of 3.0 m2 when on the deck of a boat. What is the volume of the air space when the bell has been lowered to a depth of 50 m? Take the mean density of sea water to be 1.025 g cm-3 and assume that the temperature is the same as on the surface.


Homework Equations



PV = nRT

The Attempt at a Solution



I'm thinking I should use the ideal gas law to solve this problem.

V1P1 = nRT

V2P2 = nRT

V1P1 = V2P2

P1 = 1 atm (at surface of water)

P2 = ? (would I use the density of sea water and surface area of diving bell somehow?)

Thanks!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]P_{2}=P_{1}+\rho g \Delta z[/tex]
where
g=gravitational acceleration
[tex]\Delta z[/tex]= difference in depth