Calculate Work, Power, PE and KE for a 400W Motor

  • Thread starter Thread starter Googl
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Energy
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 3K views
Googl
Messages
111
Reaction score
1
I have a question where I am given watts, voltage and time. Let's say the electric motor is 400 watt that is run from 240v mains electricity for 200seconds.

I have managed to calculate the work done using the formula Work done (J) = Power (W) x time taken (J) And I have managed to calculate the current the motor uses using the formula Power = IV.

I have no idea how I would calculate how long it takes for the pulley system to raise 15kg mass vertically 5 metres when the motor is connected to the pulley.

I am also asked to calculate the PE of the fully raised mass, I assume here I would use this formula;

Potential= mgh (Am I right?)

How do I calculate it's velocity after falling for 3.5 metres? Do I use this formula? KE= 1/2 MV^2

Thanks.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
The motor's power is given. As you mentioned, Energy = Power X Time and Potential Energy = m g h.
 
edgepflow said:
The motor's power is given. As you mentioned, Energy = Power X Time and Potential Energy = m g h.

I figured how to work out but the others.
 
How do I calculate it's velocity after falling for 3.5 metres?

d = v0t + 1/2at2
 
The total Energy is constant: KE + PE = constant. If one goes down, the other goes up.
 
Naty1 said:
How do I calculate it's velocity after falling for 3.5 metres?

d = v0t + 1/2at2

But if I rearrange the formula (making v0 the subject) it will only give me the original velocity and not the velocity is is at after 3.5 metres. Are saying that after finding this I should use; v^2 = u^2 + 2as to find the velocity at 3.5 metres?

how I would calculate how long it takes for the pulley system to raise 15kg mass vertically 5 metres when the motor is connected to the pulley.