How to calculate Young's Modulus for flat spring

In summary, the conversation discusses a question about calculating Young's modulus for a flat spring and possible methods to do so such as the Three point flexural test and Euler–Bernoulli beam theory. The person asking the question also thanks Chet for providing a solution and mentions finding another useful method.
benedict1
Hi, I have a question regarding calculating Young's modulus for a flat spring. I have a flat spring shown as the left one in the image. Now I fix the bottom of the spring and exert a force F on top of it and it bends for distance of d. Is there any way to calculate young's modulus for this spring? I searched online and found a method called Three point flexural test , but looks different from my case. Thank you.

a.png

Physics news on Phys.org
Look up deflections of cantilever beams.

Chet

Chestermiller said:
Look up deflections of cantilever beams.

Chet

Thank you Chet, your answer solves my problem. Many thanks.

I also found Euler–Bernoulli beam theory, which is also very useful.

What is Young's Modulus?

Young's Modulus, also known as the modulus of elasticity, is a measure of the stiffness of a material. It is defined as the ratio of stress to strain in a material under tensile or compressive forces.

How do you calculate Young's Modulus for a flat spring?

To calculate Young's Modulus for a flat spring, you will need to measure the spring's length, width, and thickness. Then, apply a known force to the spring and measure the resulting strain (change in length). Finally, use the formula E = (F/A) / (ΔL/L) where E is Young's Modulus, F is the applied force, A is the cross-sectional area of the spring, ΔL is the change in length, and L is the original length of the spring.

What is the unit of measurement for Young's Modulus?

Young's Modulus is typically measured in units of pascals (Pa) or newtons per square meter (N/m²). However, it can also be expressed in other units such as pounds per square inch (psi) or gigapascals (GPa).

What factors can affect the Young's Modulus of a flat spring?

The Young's Modulus of a flat spring can be affected by various factors, such as the material used, the temperature, and the manufacturing process. Other factors that can influence the modulus include the shape and size of the spring, the direction and magnitude of the applied force, and any pre-existing stress or defects in the material.

Why is Young's Modulus important in the design of flat springs?

Young's Modulus is an essential factor in the design of flat springs because it helps engineers determine how much a spring will deform under a given amount of force. This information is crucial in ensuring that the spring can withstand the intended load without permanent deformation or failure. Additionally, knowing the Young's Modulus can aid in selecting the appropriate material and dimensions for the spring to meet the desired stiffness and performance requirements.