1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating a deriv using logarithmic differentiation

1. Feb 22, 2008 #1
    Hello,This is my first crack at using log differentiation, but I can't seem to get too far with it...

Use logarithmic differentiation to calculate the derivative for the following function:

[tex] y = \sqrt{x}e^{x^{2}} (x^{2} + 1)^{10} [/tex]

[tex] lny = \frac{1}{2}lnx * x^{2}lne * 10ln(x^{2} + 1) [/tex]

(I'm not sure what to do with the deriv of lne^{x^{2}})

[tex] lny = \frac{1}{2} * \frac{1}{x} * [deriv of lne^{x^{2}}] * 10 *\frac{2x}{x^{2} + 1} [/tex]

[tex] lny = \frac{20x}{2x(x^{2} + 10} * [deriv of lne^{x^{2}}] [/tex]
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 22, 2008 #2

Homework Helper

I am assuming that you use '*' for multiplication.

You can notice that, taking derivative of summation is 'easier' than those of multiplication.

Say: (u + v + w)' = u' + v' + w' looks far easier compared with (uvw)' = u'vw + uv'w + uvw', right?

And using log function, one can change multiplication, into summation. Hence, making it more comfortable when dealing with a bunch of multiplication.

Nah, you are wrong from the first line :(, you should note that:

ln(xy) = ln(x) + ln(y), it's not ln(xy) = ln(x) * ln(y) as you've written.

I'll re-do it for you. Let's begin:

[tex]y = \sqrt{x} e ^ {x ^ 2} (x ^ 2 + 1) ^ {10}[/tex]

Take logs of both sides yields:

[tex]\Rightarrow \ln( y ) = \ln \left( \sqrt{x} e ^ {x ^ 2} (x ^ 2 + 1) ^ {10} \right)[/tex]

Use the formula: ln(xy) = ln(x) + ln(y), and ln(ab) = b ln(a) to expand all the terms on the RHS:

[tex]\Rightarrow \ln( y ) = \frac{1}{2} \ln (x) + x ^ 2 \ln (e) + 10 \ln (x ^ 2 + 1)[/tex]

ln(e) = 1, so, let's simplify it a bit:

[tex]\Rightarrow \ln( y ) = \frac{1}{2} \ln (x) + x ^ 2 + 10 \ln (x ^ 2 + 1)[/tex]

If the two functions (say, f(x), and g(x)) are the same (f(x) = g(x), for all x), then so are their derivatives (i.e, f'(x) = g'(x), for all x).

So, taking the derivatives of both sides with respect to x (not just one side as you did), we have:

[tex]\Rightarrow \frac{y'_x}{y} = \left( \frac{1}{2} \ln (x) + x ^ 2 + 10 \ln (x ^ 2 + 1) \right)'_x[/tex]

Now, what you have to do is to take the derivatives of the RHS, then multiply y over, and arrive at the desired answer.

Hope that you can go from here. :)

Btw, you should put a '\' in front of a function in LaTeX to make it looks un-italics.

Compare the two:

\ln x returns: [tex]\ln x[/tex]

whereas ln x returns: [tex]ln x[/tex]

The first one looks somewhat better, eh? :)

And to insert texts in LaTeX, we use the function \mbox{your text here}.

[tex]\mbox{LaTeX is wonderful :D}[/tex] is way better than [tex]LaTeX is wonderful :D[/tex]. See? :)

Hint: Click on LaTeX images to see ther codes..
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?