Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating a theta using dot product in 3D coordinate

1. Dec 19, 2013 #1

Tah

xc.jpg

I'm so confused about finding an angle, theta in this illustration.

With having three coordinate information, how can I calculate the theta using dot product?

I would easily find the angle by using trigonometric formula if I ignore the z-axis.

But I want to solve this problem with 3-dimensional coordinate system by using dot product formula.

Please help me confused.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 19, 2013 #2

ShayanJ

Gold Member

There are two definitions for dot product of two vectors.we have [itex] \vec{u}\cdot\vec{v}=u_xv_x+u_yv_y+u_zv_z=uv\cos{\theta} [/itex].
    I think your answer is clear now!

4. Dec 19, 2013 #3

Tah

Thanks

Yes, I've already known that formula but could not understand exactly.

Could you help me more detail about such variables?

I was wondering about what is u_x, v_x, u_y, v_y.... in this case.

I think 'u' is (x1-x2, y1-y2, z1-z2) and 'v' is (x2-x3, y2-y3, z2-z3). Is this correct?

Thank you for your support :)

5. Dec 19, 2013 #4

ShayanJ

Gold Member

[itex] u_x,v_y,... [/itex] x,y and z components of the vectors u and v.They can be anything! [itex] (x_1-x_2, y_1-y_2, z_1-z_2) and (x_2-x_3, y_2-y_3, z_2-z_3) [/itex] are just particular examples when u and v are displacement vectors.You just have to find the components of the vectors and then their magnitudes.

6. Dec 19, 2013 #5

K^2

Science Advisor

In this example, yes. And when Shyan writes ##uv\ cos\theta##, here u and v are norms of the two vectors. Just in case it wasn't clear.

7. Dec 19, 2013 #6

Tah

Thanks

I have one more question

xc.jpg

In this case, should I just do 180' minus the theta calculated by using dot product formula to find the theta prime(')?

Thanks!!

8. Dec 19, 2013 #7

K^2

Science Advisor

Yes.

There exists a plane containing both vectors, and in that plane, all the planar geometry you know applies. So θ and θ' are complimentary angles, and therefore, their sum is 180°.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook