1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating a theta using dot product in 3D coordinate

1. Dec 19, 2013 #1

Tah

xc.jpg

I'm so confused about finding an angle, theta in this illustration.

With having three coordinate information, how can I calculate the theta using dot product?

I would easily find the angle by using trigonometric formula if I ignore the z-axis.

But I want to solve this problem with 3-dimensional coordinate system by using dot product formula.

Please help me confused.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 19, 2013 #2

ShayanJ

Gold Member

There are two definitions for dot product of two vectors.we have [itex] \vec{u}\cdot\vec{v}=u_xv_x+u_yv_y+u_zv_z=uv\cos{\theta} [/itex].
    I think your answer is clear now!

4. Dec 19, 2013 #3

Tah

Thanks

Yes, I've already known that formula but could not understand exactly.

Could you help me more detail about such variables?

I was wondering about what is u_x, v_x, u_y, v_y.... in this case.

I think 'u' is (x1-x2, y1-y2, z1-z2) and 'v' is (x2-x3, y2-y3, z2-z3). Is this correct?

Thank you for your support :)

5. Dec 19, 2013 #4

ShayanJ

Gold Member

[itex] u_x,v_y,... [/itex] x,y and z components of the vectors u and v.They can be anything! [itex] (x_1-x_2, y_1-y_2, z_1-z_2) and (x_2-x_3, y_2-y_3, z_2-z_3) [/itex] are just particular examples when u and v are displacement vectors.You just have to find the components of the vectors and then their magnitudes.

6. Dec 19, 2013 #5

K^2

Science Advisor

In this example, yes. And when Shyan writes ##uv\ cos\theta##, here u and v are norms of the two vectors. Just in case it wasn't clear.

7. Dec 19, 2013 #6

Tah

Thanks

I have one more question

xc.jpg

In this case, should I just do 180' minus the theta calculated by using dot product formula to find the theta prime(')?

Thanks!!

8. Dec 19, 2013 #7

K^2

Science Advisor

Yes.

There exists a plane containing both vectors, and in that plane, all the planar geometry you know applies. So θ and θ' are complimentary angles, and therefore, their sum is 180°.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook