Calculating a theta using dot product in 3D coordinate

In summary, The conversation is about finding the angle theta in a 3-dimensional coordinate system using the dot product formula. There are two definitions for dot product and the variables u_x, v_x, u_y, v_y, etc. can be anything. The vectors u and v are just particular examples, but their magnitudes must be calculated. The theta prime (') can be found by subtracting the calculated theta from 180 degrees, as they are complementary angles in a plane containing both vectors.
Tah
xc.jpg

I'm so confused about finding an angle, theta in this illustration.

With having three coordinate information, how can I calculate the theta using dot product?

I would easily find the angle by using trigonometric formula if I ignore the z-axis.

But I want to solve this problem with 3-dimensional coordinate system by using dot product formula.

Please help me confused.

Physics news on Phys.org
There are two definitions for dot product of two vectors.we have [itex] \vec{u}\cdot\vec{v}=u_xv_x+u_yv_y+u_zv_z=uv\cos{\theta} [/itex].
I think your answer is clear now!

Likes 1 person
Thanks

Shyan said:
There are two definitions for dot product of two vectors.we have [itex] \vec{u}\cdot\vec{v}=u_xv_x+u_yv_y+u_zv_z=uv\cos{\theta} [/itex].
I think your answer is clear now!

Yes, I've already known that formula but could not understand exactly.

Could you help me more detail about such variables?

I was wondering about what is u_x, v_x, u_y, v_y... in this case.

I think 'u' is (x1-x2, y1-y2, z1-z2) and 'v' is (x2-x3, y2-y3, z2-z3). Is this correct?

Thank you for your support :)

[itex] u_x,v_y,... [/itex] x,y and z components of the vectors u and v.They can be anything! [itex] (x_1-x_2, y_1-y_2, z_1-z_2) and (x_2-x_3, y_2-y_3, z_2-z_3) [/itex] are just particular examples when u and v are displacement vectors.You just have to find the components of the vectors and then their magnitudes.

Likes 1 person
Tah said:
I think 'u' is (x1-x2, y1-y2, z1-z2) and 'v' is (x2-x3, y2-y3, z2-z3). Is this correct?
In this example, yes. And when Shyan writes ##uv\ cos\theta##, here u and v are norms of the two vectors. Just in case it wasn't clear.

Thanks

K^2 said:
In this example, yes. And when Shyan writes ##uv\ cos\theta##, here u and v are norms of the two vectors. Just in case it wasn't clear.

I have one more question

xc.jpg

In this case, should I just do 180' minus the theta calculated by using dot product formula to find the theta prime(')?

Thanks!

Yes.

There exists a plane containing both vectors, and in that plane, all the planar geometry you know applies. So θ and θ' are complimentary angles, and therefore, their sum is 180°.

Likes 1 person

1. What is the dot product in 3D coordinate?

The dot product, also known as the scalar product, is a mathematical operation that takes two vectors in 3D coordinate and returns a scalar value. It is calculated by multiplying the corresponding components of the two vectors and adding them together.

2. How do you calculate a theta using dot product in 3D coordinate?

The formula for calculating the angle theta between two vectors using dot product in 3D coordinate is:
theta = arccos( (A * B) / (|A| * |B|) )
Where A and B are the two vectors and |A| and |B| represent the magnitudes of those vectors.

3. Can the dot product be negative in 3D coordinate?

Yes, the dot product can be negative in 3D coordinate. This occurs when the angle between the two vectors is greater than 90 degrees.

4. What is the significance of calculating theta using dot product in 3D coordinate?

Calculating theta using dot product in 3D coordinate is useful in many applications, such as physics, engineering, and computer graphics. It allows us to determine the angle between two vectors, which can help us understand the relationship between those vectors and their direction.

5. Are there any limitations to calculating theta using dot product in 3D coordinate?

One limitation of calculating theta using dot product in 3D coordinate is that it can only give the angle between two vectors in Euclidean space. It cannot be used for vectors in non-Euclidean spaces, such as curved surfaces. Additionally, the angle calculated may be inaccurate if the vectors are not in the same plane.