Is the Dot Product of Unit Vectors Related to Magnitudes and Angle Between Them?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
Abdulwahab Hajar
Messages
56
Reaction score
2
Okay so I understand that in order to represent a vector which is in cartesian coordinates in spherical coordinates.. we use the transformation which is obtained by dotting the unit vectors.
So my question goes like this:
when we dot for example the unit vector ar^ with x^ we obtain sin(theta) * cos(phi), however can't the dot product be interpreted as the magnitudes multiplied by the cos of the angle between them.
In this case the magnitudes are 1 because they are unit vectors but how can sin(theta) * cos(phi) equal cos(angle between ar^ and x^)
I know my notation sucks please pardon me it's my first time posting... I have no notation at all :(

Thank you for the help
 
Physics news on Phys.org
If you identify the angle between ##\vec r = r\hat r## and ##\vec x = x\hat\imath## (you OK with i-j-k unit vectors?) for an arbitrary ##\vec r## as ##\alpha## to distinguish it from the ##\theta## and ##\phi## of the spherical polar coordinates... then ##\hat r\cdot \hat\imath = \cos\alpha## right?

You can express ##\cos\alpha## in terms of ##\theta## and ##\phi##.
Give it a go. ie. try first for ##\theta=\pi/2## and ##\phi >0##, then for ##\phi=0## and ##0<\theta<\pi/2## ... then combine the results.
 
Awesome haha I actually got it :)
thanks a million sir
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Simon Bridge