Is the Dot Product of Unit Vectors Related to Magnitudes and Angle Between Them?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of transformations in representing a vector in spherical coordinates. The dot product between unit vectors in this representation can be interpreted as the multiplication of their magnitudes by the cosine of the angle between them. This can be expressed in terms of theta and phi in spherical polar coordinates. The conversation ends with the person expressing their understanding and gratitude.
Abdulwahab Hajar
Okay so I understand that in order to represent a vector which is in cartesian coordinates in spherical coordinates.. we use the transformation which is obtained by dotting the unit vectors.
So my question goes like this:
when we dot for example the unit vector ar^ with x^ we obtain sin(theta) * cos(phi), however can't the dot product be interpreted as the magnitudes multiplied by the cos of the angle between them.
In this case the magnitudes are 1 because they are unit vectors but how can sin(theta) * cos(phi) equal cos(angle between ar^ and x^)
I know my notation sucks please pardon me it's my first time posting... I have no notation at all :(

Thank you for the help

Physics news on Phys.org
If you identify the angle between ##\vec r = r\hat r## and ##\vec x = x\hat\imath## (you OK with i-j-k unit vectors?) for an arbitrary ##\vec r## as ##\alpha## to distinguish it from the ##\theta## and ##\phi## of the spherical polar coordinates... then ##\hat r\cdot \hat\imath = \cos\alpha## right?

You can express ##\cos\alpha## in terms of ##\theta## and ##\phi##.
Give it a go. ie. try first for ##\theta=\pi/2## and ##\phi >0##, then for ##\phi=0## and ##0<\theta<\pi/2## ... then combine the results.

Awesome haha I actually got it :)
thanks a million sir

Likes Simon Bridge

1. What is a unit vector?

A unit vector is a vector with a magnitude of 1 and is used to indicate direction without changing the scale of the vector. It is often denoted with a hat (^) symbol on top of the vector symbol.

2. How do you calculate the dot product of two unit vectors?

The dot product of two unit vectors is calculated by multiplying their respective components and then adding them together. This can be represented as a vector equation: A*B = AxBx + AyBy + AzBz, where A and B are unit vectors and x, y, and z are their respective components.

3. What is the significance of the dot product in vector operations?

The dot product is used to determine the angle between two vectors, as well as the projection of one vector onto another. It is also used in calculations involving work, force, and energy in physics and engineering.

4. Can the dot product of two unit vectors be negative?

Yes, the dot product of two unit vectors can be negative if the angle between them is greater than 90 degrees. A negative dot product indicates that the two vectors are pointing in opposite directions.

5. How is the dot product related to vector multiplication?

The dot product is a type of vector multiplication that results in a scalar quantity (a number). It is different from cross product, which results in a vector quantity. The dot product is used to find the component of one vector in the direction of another vector.