Calculating a volume through cylindrical coordinates

In summary, the problem discusses finding the value of an integral in cylindrical coordinates with limits of integration that represent the area limited by a cone and a cylinder. The order of integration should be \int_{0}^{2\pi} \int_{0}^{1}\int_{0}^{z} r^2 dr dz d\theta or \int_{0}^{2\pi} \int_{0}^{1}\int_{0}^{r} r^2 dz dr d\theta, depending on the region of interest. The problem also mentions the importance of considering the shape of the surface and correctly setting up the limits of integration.
Fanta
Just a question.
Say you have a function, which in cylindrical coordinates it gives that
[tex]\int\int\int \sqrt{x^2 + y^2} dx dy dz[/tex]

which is

[tex]\int\int\int r^2 dr d/theta dz[/tex]

i want to find in cylindrical coordinates, in the area limited by the functions :

[tex]x^2 + y^2 = z^2[/tex]
z is greater or equal than -1 and less than equal to 1.

so, i solve it, but then i realize:
why is the value of solving the inner integral in order to dr (with limits of integration from 0 to z) different that the one in order to dz (with limits from 0 to r), with the middle one being dz or dr, respectively, with limits 0 to 1, and the outside one (d theta) 0 to 2pi?
(all multiplied by two)

the order shouldn't matter, i think.

please explain what the order should be and why, I am really confused on this one... thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
you're correct the value of the integral shouldn't change - though exactly what you;re doing isn't very clear - try tex below to show your limits

[tex]\int_{z_1}^{z_2} \int_{\theta_1(z)}^{\theta_2(z)}\int_{r_1(z,\theta)}^{r_2(z,\theta)} r^2 dr d\theta dz[/tex]

You haven't stated the original problem clearly enough to even tell whether the first integral you have written down is correct, regardless of your limits.

What are you trying to find? A volume? A mass given a variable density? Are you interested in the region (not area) inside or outside of the surface? Do you know what the surface looks like?

If you draw a picture you will see that z going from 0 to r doesn't describe the same region as r going from 0 to z.

Last edited:
The problem doesn't state what exactly I'm trying to calculate.

anyway, the integral would be

[tex]\int_{0}^{2\pi} \int_{0}^{1}\int_{0}^{r} r^2 dz dr d\theta [/tex]

or

[tex]\int_{0}^{2\pi} \int_{0}^{1}\int_{0}^{z} r^2 dr dz d\theta [/tex]

yes, i think i know what it looks like.

Basically, since the limits are

[tex]
x^2 + y^2 = z^2
[/tex]

it should be a cone, with symetry about the xy plane

[tex]
z = r
[/tex]

the limits of z are
[tex]
-1 <= z <= 1
[/tex]

so i can integrate the triangle that makes the cone, considering only the xz plane, plotting z/r.
Then I integrate the volume, since it's a solid of revolution and multiply it by two, because of the symmetry.

So ultimately, I know:

[tex]2 \cdot 2\pi \int_{0}^{1}\int_{0}^{r} r^2 dz dr d\theta [/tex] or [tex]2 \cdot 2\pi \int_{0}^{1}\int_{0}^{z} r^2 dr dz d\theta [/tex]

and yes, i want the region. sorry, if i said area before

Last edited:
Fanta said:
The problem doesn't state what exactly I'm trying to calculate.

anyway, the integral would be

[tex]\int_{0}^{2\pi} \int_{0}^{1}\int_{0}^{r} r^2 dz dr d\theta [/tex]

or

[tex]\int_{0}^{2\pi} \int_{0}^{1}\int_{0}^{z} r^2 dr dz d\theta [/tex]

yes, i think i know what it looks like.

No, you don't get to choose. Those integrals don't describe the same region. One gives the region inside (above) the cone and the other outside (below) the cone but inside the cylinder r = 1.

i got it. thanks

1. What are cylindrical coordinates?

Cylindrical coordinates are a type of coordinate system used in mathematics and physics to locate a point in 3D space. They consist of a distance from the origin (radius), an angle from a fixed reference direction (theta), and a height above a fixed plane (z).

2. How do you convert from Cartesian coordinates to cylindrical coordinates?

To convert from Cartesian coordinates (x, y, z) to cylindrical coordinates (r, theta, z), you can use the following equations: r = sqrt(x^2 + y^2), theta = arctan(y/x), and z = z. It is important to note that theta is measured in radians.

3. What is the formula for calculating volume using cylindrical coordinates?

The formula for calculating volume using cylindrical coordinates is V = ∫∫∫ r dz dr dtheta, where the limits of integration are determined by the shape of the object in question. This is a triple integral, with the innermost integral being with respect to z, the middle integral being with respect to r, and the outermost integral being with respect to theta.

4. How do you calculate the volume of a cylinder using cylindrical coordinates?

To calculate the volume of a cylinder using cylindrical coordinates, you can use the formula V = ∫∫∫ r dz dr dtheta, where the limits of integration are from 0 to the height of the cylinder for z, 0 to the radius of the base for r, and 0 to 2π for theta.

5. What are some real-world applications of cylindrical coordinates?

Cylindrical coordinates are commonly used in engineering and physics to describe the motion and behavior of objects in 3D space. They are also useful in fields such as fluid dynamics, electromagnetism, and heat transfer. In the real world, they can be applied to model and analyze the movement of fluids through pipes, the motion of particles in a magnetic field, and the distribution of heat in cylindrical objects.