Calculation of moment of inertia of cylindrical surface

zenterix
Homework Statement
(Apostol, Vol II, 2nd Ed., Chapter. 12.10, Problem 10)
A homogenous paper rectange of base ##2\pi a## and altitude ##h## is rolled to form a circular cylindrical surface ##S## of radius ##a##. Calculate the moment of inertia of ##S## about an axis through a diameter of the circular base.
Relevant Equations
##I=\int\int_S r^2 dm##
Here is the homogenous paper rectangle

1698944078473.png

And if we roll it we get a cylinder with base radius ##a##.

It is not clear to me what "an axis through a diameter of the circular base means".

Let's imagine such as axis is ##\alpha## in the following figure

1698943063059.jpeg

Then we have

$$I_{\alpha}=\int_0^h\int_0^{2\pi} z^2 \cdot \frac{M}{4\pi a^2}ad\theta dz = \frac{Mh^3}{6a}\tag{1}$$

where I have used a mass density of ##\frac{M}{4\pi a^2}## for the cylindrical surface.

Now, technically, if we were to use the following axis instead

1698943593848.png

then it also "passes through" a diameter of the circular base. In this case we have

$$I_{\alpha}=\int_0^h\int_0^{2\pi} a^2\cdot \frac{M}{4\pi a^2} a d\theta dz=\frac{Mah}{2}$$

Neither one of these calculations matches the answer at the end of the book, which is ##\pi a^3h+\frac{2}{3}\pi ah^3##.

What am I doing wrong here?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi,

Looking at your equation (1), it seems to me you have ##r=z##, independent of ##\theta##. That can't be right.

Looking at the book answer, it seems they assume ##\rho = 1##.

For a hoop about a central diameter, here I find ##I={1\over 2} Mr^2##.
(which also can be found with the perpendicular axis theorem -- see below)

With ##r=a## and ##M = 2\pi a h\rho## that reproduces the first term in the book solution.

(**)
The parallel axis theorem would add a second term for which I can't reproduce the book value :frown: .
(a naive ##I = I_{cm} + Md^2## with ##d = {h\over 2} ## gets me ##{1\over 2} \pi a h^3##)

I tink the answer lies here :

Hoop about diameter:$$dI_z = dI_x+dI_y\ \ \& \ \ dI_x=dI_y \Rightarrow dI_x = {1\over 2} dI_z = {1\over 2} dm R^2$$

Hoop about parallel axis at distance z:$$dI_x = {1\over 2} dm R^2 + dm\, z^2$$Integrate and now the second term also agrees with the book.

Bonus points for pointing out what's wrong with (**)
[edit] Earn my own bonus: hoop about diameter expression is for ##h=0##

##\ ##

Likes zenterix
I believe the first option is what is asked for. What you are missing is that you should multiply the mass elements by the distance to the axis squared, this is not given by ##z^2##. Can you figure out what it should be?

Hint: Your result is correct if ##h \gg a##.

Likes zenterix
BvU said:
Hi,

Looking at your equation (1), it seems to me you have ##r=z##, independent of ##\theta##. That can't be right.

Looking at the book answer, it seems they assume ##\rho = 1##.

For a hoop about a central diameter, here I find ##I={1\over 2} Mr^2##.
(which also can be found with the perpendicular axis theorem -- see below)

With ##r=a## and ##M = 2\pi a h\rho## that reproduces the first term in the book solution.

(**)
The parallel axis theorem would add a second term for which I can't reproduce the book value :frown: .
(a naive ##I = I_{cm} + Md^2## with ##d = {h\over 2} ## gets me ##{1\over 2} \pi a h^3##)

I tink the answer lies here :

Hoop about diameter:$$dI_z = dI_x+dI_y\ \ \& \ \ dI_x=dI_y \Rightarrow dI_x = {1\over 2} dI_z = {1\over 2} dm R^2$$

Hoop about parallel axis at distance z:$$dI_x = {1\over 2} dm R^2 + dm\, z^2$$Integrate and now the second term also agrees with the book.

Bonus points for pointing out what's wrong with (**)
[edit] Earn my own bonus: hoop about diameter expression is for ##h=0##

##\ ##
While you certainly can use the parallel axis theorem, I think the correct integral in itself is pretty straightforward.

Likes zenterix
Orodruin said:
I believe the first option is what is asked for. What you are missing is that you should multiply the mass elements by the distance to the axis squared, this is not given by ##z^2##. Can you figure out what it should be?

Hint: Your result is correct if ##h \gg a##.
Oh, right, silly me.

1698953279207.png

$$I_{\alpha}=\int_0^h\int_0^{2\pi} (a^2\cos^2{\theta}+z^2)\cdot \frac{M}{4\pi a^2}\cdot a d\theta dz$$

$$=\frac{M}{4\pi a^2} \cdot (\pi a^3h +\frac{2}{3}\pi ah^3)$$

If we assume that the density is 1 then the result matches the book.

Likes BvU

1. How do you calculate the moment of inertia of a cylindrical surface?

To calculate the moment of inertia of a cylindrical surface, you can use the formula I = 0.5 * m * r^2, where I is the moment of inertia, m is the mass of the cylindrical surface, and r is the radius of the cylindrical surface.

2. What is the significance of calculating the moment of inertia of a cylindrical surface?

Calculating the moment of inertia of a cylindrical surface is important in determining how the cylindrical surface will resist rotational motion. It helps in understanding the distribution of mass around the axis of rotation and predicting how the cylindrical surface will behave when subjected to torque.

3. Can you calculate the moment of inertia of a hollow cylindrical surface?

Yes, the moment of inertia of a hollow cylindrical surface can be calculated using the formula I = 0.5 * m * (r_outer^2 + r_inner^2), where r_outer is the outer radius of the hollow cylindrical surface and r_inner is the inner radius of the hollow cylindrical surface.

4. How does the moment of inertia of a cylindrical surface differ from that of other shapes?

The moment of inertia of a cylindrical surface is calculated differently from other shapes due to its unique geometry. While the moment of inertia of a solid cylinder is calculated using a simple formula, the moment of inertia of other shapes such as a sphere or a rectangular prism requires different formulas based on their respective geometries.

5. What are some real-world applications of calculating the moment of inertia of cylindrical surfaces?

Calculating the moment of inertia of cylindrical surfaces is important in various engineering applications, such as designing rotating machinery, analyzing the stability of structures, and predicting the behavior of rotating objects like wheels or flywheels. Understanding the moment of inertia of cylindrical surfaces helps engineers optimize their designs for efficiency and performance.