Calculating Acceleration in a Combined Mass System

  • Thread starter Thread starter Stuman
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Acceleration Mass
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
11 replies · 5K views
Stuman
Messages
6
Reaction score
0
Hi, I am working on a problem that involves the following
I have a mass of 500 grams traveling at 7m/s that hits and sticks to another mass of 50 grams that was stationary.

What acceleration does the second ( 50 gram ) mass experience?

I have tried using a Runge-Kutta 4th order algorithm to solve some Differential Equations of motion and assuming a very high K value for the stiffness of the materials, but I think this is too complex.

How can I calculate the acceleration, preferably on a time basis, not just assuming that it took 0.1 seconds to get upto the new combined speed of approx 6.9?? m/s.

Thanks
Stuman
 
Physics news on Phys.org
For the information you given... It is imposssible.
Period...
 
OK. I don't want a numerical answer, I would like a methodology. Basically it is an impact related question where the two masses combine. How do you calculate the acceleration of the second 50 gram mass?
 
If you made a simple assumtion that the accelaration is constant, what you need is the
time interval of the impact...
 
Stuman said:
What other data would you like?
Or the deformation during impact. Then the whole heap, assuming the impact takes place on a level frictionless surface , would move off at a constant speed of 6.9m/s forever and ever...
 
As I said in my original post

not just assuming that it took 0.1 seconds to get upto the new combined speed of approx 6.9?? m/s.

I cannot use constant acceleration of impact time. I need to claculte it on a dynamic basis.
 
Stuman said:
As I said in my original post



I cannot use constant acceleration of impact time. I need to claculte it on a dynamic basis.
Do you think it makes a difference whether the masses are made of soft clay or hardened steel?
 
I do think it makes a difference which is why I stated in my original problem that during my RK4 analysis I assumed a high K value for the stiffness of the materials.
 
Stuman said:
I do think it makes a difference which is why I stated in my original problem that during my RK4 analysis I assumed a high K value for the stiffness of the materials.
Why did you assume a high value? why not a low one? If I hadn't posted prior to reading chanvincent's response, i would have let it go at that...It is imposssible.
Period...