Calculating acceleration of a plane weighing 9800N

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
FaraDazed
Messages
347
Reaction score
2

Homework Statement



Calculate the acceleration of a plane weighing 9800N when the forward force is 210000N, the drag force due to air resistance is 500N

Homework Equations



F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution



the mass is 1000kg as 9800/9.8 is 100. The resultant force R must be 210000-500=209500

So is the acceleration 209500/1000 or 209500/9800? 209599/9800=21.38ms^2 so that makes a lot more logical sense than 209.5ms^2

But force=massXaccelration not force=weightXacceleration.

I know its another basic question but please someone help stop my head hurting.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
1 tonne for a plane is kind of light so that's probably why you're getting such a quick acceleration. I mean even if you didn t take the air resistance into account, the output of energy by the engine is waaaay to big for 1000kg -s of mass.

I think the engine alone would have to weigh a lot more than that