1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Frictionless Inclined Plane, solve for acceleration

1. Jun 18, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    An object is on a frictionless inclined plane. The plane is at an angle of 30 degrees with the horizontal. What is the object's acceleration?

a) 0.50g b) 0.56g c)0.68g d)1.0g e)0.87g

2. Relevant equations
    F=ma a = g.sin(theta)

3. The attempt at a solution
    I set it up where a = mg.sin(theta) / m where I then get a = g.sin(theta)
    where it's: 9.8 (sin(30)) and my acceleration would be 4.9 m/s^2. However, that is
    not an answer choice with my options given, where I am now completely lost.
    I sincerely would appreciate any help!

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 18, 2016 #2
    For the answers, they are a number multiplied by g.

4. Jun 18, 2016 #3
    So when I set up the equation to find the acceleration which I thought was 4.9, was that the wrong thing to do? What am I missing because I know this is an easy problem, but I'm having trouble with this...

5. Jun 18, 2016 #4
    You've said that your answer isn't in the options given, you should take another look at the options and consider what I posted above.

6. Jun 18, 2016 #5
    Ohhhhh..... Okay wow, then if that's the case I believe it is answer choice A. Because the sin of 30 is 1/2. And for my acceleration, it's gravity x sin(30). That's what you meant right? I did solve it correctly after all I suppose^^

7. Jun 18, 2016 #6
    That's exactly it. :) With answers like those it's a good idea to either convert the answers so that they're not in terms of g (So a is 0.5g = 0.5 * 9.8 = 4.9) or to get your answer in terms of g (sin(30)g = 0.5g).

8. Jun 18, 2016 #7
    Thank you so very, very much Mike! Have a Blessed one!

9. Jun 18, 2016 #8
    Glad to help!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted