Frictionless Inclined Plane, solve for acceleration

In summary: You too!In summary, the object's acceleration on a frictionless inclined plane at an angle of 30 degrees with the horizontal can be found using the equation a = g.sin(theta). The answer choices are given as numbers multiplied by g, so the calculated acceleration of 4.9 m/s^2 corresponds to answer choice A, 0.50g.
lexikobie

Homework Statement

An object is on a frictionless inclined plane. The plane is at an angle of 30 degrees with the horizontal. What is the object's acceleration?

a) 0.50g b) 0.56g c)0.68g d)1.0g e)0.87g

Homework Equations

F=ma a = g.sin(theta)

The Attempt at a Solution

I set it up where a = mg.sin(theta) / m where I then get a = g.sin(theta)
where it's: 9.8 (sin(30)) and my acceleration would be 4.9 m/s^2. However, that is
not an answer choice with my options given, where I am now completely lost.
I sincerely would appreciate any help!

Physics news on Phys.org
For the answers, they are a number multiplied by g.

MikeN said:
For the answers, they are a number multiplied by g.

So when I set up the equation to find the acceleration which I thought was 4.9, was that the wrong thing to do? What am I missing because I know this is an easy problem, but I'm having trouble with this...

You've said that your answer isn't in the options given, you should take another look at the options and consider what I posted above.

MikeN said:
You've said that your answer isn't in the options given, you should take another look at the options and consider what I posted above.
Ohhhhh... Okay wow, then if that's the case I believe it is answer choice A. Because the sin of 30 is 1/2. And for my acceleration, it's gravity x sin(30). That's what you meant right? I did solve it correctly after all I suppose^^

That's exactly it. :) With answers like those it's a good idea to either convert the answers so that they're not in terms of g (So a is 0.5g = 0.5 * 9.8 = 4.9) or to get your answer in terms of g (sin(30)g = 0.5g).

MikeN said:
That's exactly it. :) With answers like those it's a good idea to either convert the answers so that they're not in terms of g (So a is 0.5g = 0.5 * 9.8 = 4.9) or to get your answer in terms of g (sin(30)g = 0.5g).

Thank you so very, very much Mike! Have a Blessed one!

Glad to help!

1. What is an inclined plane?

An inclined plane is a simple machine that is a flat surface tilted at an angle, used to move objects between different levels. It reduces the amount of force needed to lift an object by spreading the effort over a longer distance.

2. How does friction affect an object on an inclined plane?

Friction is the force that opposes motion between two objects in contact. On an inclined plane, friction acts in the opposite direction of the object's motion, making it more difficult to move the object. The amount of friction depends on the roughness of the surface and the weight of the object.

3. What factors affect the acceleration of an object on an inclined plane?

The acceleration of an object on an inclined plane is affected by several factors, including the angle of the plane, the mass of the object, and the force of gravity. Additionally, friction and air resistance can also play a role in determining the acceleration of the object.

4. How do you calculate the acceleration of an object on an inclined plane?

To calculate the acceleration of an object on an inclined plane, you can use the formula a = gsinθ - μcosθ, where a is the acceleration, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s²), θ is the angle of the incline, and μ is the coefficient of friction. If there is no friction, the formula simplifies to a = gsinθ.

5. How can the acceleration of an object on an inclined plane be increased?

Increasing the angle of the inclined plane will increase the acceleration of the object. Additionally, reducing the amount of friction by using a smoother surface or lubricant can also increase the acceleration. Lastly, increasing the force of gravity by changing the location of the object (e.g. moving it closer to the Earth's center of mass) can also increase the acceleration.