Calculating angle between two complex numbers

In summary, the conversation discusses how to show that the angles of two complex numbers, z1 and z1 + z2, differ by an integer multiple of pi/2. The suggested method is to use the dot product of the corresponding vectors in the complex plane and the fact that pi/2 indicates perpendicularity. The person also mentions using MATLAB to compute the angle, but it does not seem to work.
polaris90
so I have z1 = 3 + j, z2 = -5 + 5j, z3 = z1+z2 = -2 + 6j

the question is, show that angle(z1) and angle(z1 + z2) differ by an integer multiple of pi/2.

I tried doing it this way
arctan(z1/z3), but then I always end up with a number that doesn't work. I know that arctan(x) cannot equal pi/2. Is there another way t rewrite it? I computed it using MATLAB and it gave me pi/2.

Physics news on Phys.org
Just draw the corresponding vectors ##\langle 3,1\rangle## and ##\langle -1,3\rangle## and look at their dot product.

Perhaps you can utilize that pi/2 means the two complex numbers, when viewed as vectors in the complex plane, must be perpendicular to each other.

1. How do you calculate the angle between two complex numbers?

The angle between two complex numbers can be calculated by first finding the difference between their respective arguments (or angles) and then taking the absolute value of this difference. This difference in arguments is then divided by 360 degrees and multiplied by 2π to convert it into radians.

2. What is the formula for calculating the angle between two complex numbers?

The formula for calculating the angle between two complex numbers, z1 and z2, is given by: θ = |arg(z1) - arg(z2)| * 2π / 360, where arg(z) represents the argument (or angle) of the complex number z.

3. Can the angle between two complex numbers be negative?

Yes, the angle between two complex numbers can be negative. This usually indicates that the second complex number is rotated clockwise from the first complex number, instead of counter-clockwise.

4. Can the angle between two complex numbers be greater than 360 degrees?

No, the angle between two complex numbers cannot be greater than 360 degrees. This is because the difference in arguments is always taken as an absolute value, and thus, the maximum difference possible is 360 degrees.

5. How is the angle between two complex numbers related to their graphical representation?

The angle between two complex numbers is equal to the angle between the two corresponding vectors drawn from the origin on the complex plane. This means that the angle between two complex numbers can also be visualized as the angle between their respective vectors on the Argand diagram.