Complex numbers on unit circle

In summary, given four complex numbers z1, z2, z3, z4 on the unit circle, where |z1|=|z2|=|z3|=|z4|=1, and z1+z2+z3+z4=1+i, the value of 1/z1 + 1/z2 + 1/z3 + 1/z4 can be found by taking the conjugate of both sides of the equation and using DeMoivre's Theorem. The sum of the (1/z)'s is equal to the sum of the z's.
treetheta

Homework Statement

Let z1; z2; z3; z4 be four complex numbers on the unit circle (i.e., |z1|=|z2|=|z3|=|z4|=1).
It is known that z1+z2+z3+z4=1+i . Find the value of
1/z1
+
1/z2
+
1/z3
+
1/z4

Homework Equations

1/z = barZ/|z|^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I've been trying for about a day now and i just have no clue absolutely, I understand that
[b -a]/ [ab] = [1/a] - [1/b]

but i think there's something to do with conjugates or something this question is quite fustrating.

i also tried letting z1 + z2 + z3 + z4 = w
and then w*(barW) but i just got 0(1+i)(1-i) and then i can't take the inverse

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
So you know

[tex]z_1+z_2+z_3+z_4=1+i[/tex]

What if you take the conjugate of both sides?

Have you had DeMoivre's Theorem? You know that all of the z's have unit modulus. What would 1/z equal for each z ?
Draw the z's and (1/z)'s on an Argand diagram. How does the sum of the (1/z)'s relate to the sum of the z's ?

1. What is the unit circle in complex numbers?

The unit circle in complex numbers is a circle with a radius of 1 unit on the complex plane. It is represented by the equation x² + y² = 1, where x and y are the real and imaginary parts of a complex number, respectively.

2. How are complex numbers represented on the unit circle?

Complex numbers can be represented on the unit circle by plotting them as points on the circle, where the real part is the x-coordinate and the imaginary part is the y-coordinate. The angle formed between the positive real axis and the point on the circle represents the argument or phase of the complex number.

3. What is the significance of the unit circle in complex analysis?

The unit circle plays an important role in complex analysis as it helps to visualize and understand the properties of complex numbers. It also allows for the conversion between polar and rectangular forms of complex numbers, and is used in various mathematical equations and theorems.

4. How do you find the modulus of a complex number using the unit circle?

The modulus or absolute value of a complex number can be found by measuring the distance of the point representing the complex number from the origin (0,0) on the unit circle. This distance is equivalent to the magnitude of the complex number.

5. Can all complex numbers be represented on the unit circle?

Yes, all complex numbers can be represented on the unit circle. This is because any complex number can be written in the form re^(iθ), where r is the modulus and θ is the argument or phase. Since the unit circle represents all points with a modulus of 1, any complex number can be represented on it.