1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Graphical representation of complex numbers

1. Feb 28, 2013 #1
    Hi there,

eI have two numbers:

z1 = 2 + i
    z2 = exp(iδ) * z1

i are complex numbers and δ is a real number. I need to answer a question - what does the graphical representation of z2 have in relation to the graphical representation of z1.

Thanks for any help!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 28, 2013 #2

dx

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Multiplying by exp(ia) is a rotation by the angle a.

This looks like a homework question. We have a special forum for that here, so in future post such questions there, and also try to tell us a little about how you've attempted to solve it, so that the help you receive is more meaningful.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2013
  4. Feb 28, 2013 #3
    Thanks a lot.

I'm sorry for posting in wrong section. I'm totally new on this forum. And yes, it is a homework question. Of course, I tried to solve it myself, but the only thing I know is, that:

e^(iδ) = cos δ + i sin δ

And I would also like to know, what's the reason - why is it a rotation.

5. Feb 28, 2013 #4

dx

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If you rotate a vector (x, y) by an angle θ, the components x' and y' of the rotated vector are

x' = xcosθ - ysinθ
    y' = xsinθ + ycosθ

Now a complex number z = x + iy is like a vector with components x and y. Multiply x + iy with exp(iθ) = cosθ + isinθ, and you will get x' + iy' with x' and y' as above.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted