Calculating angular acceleration and translating to force

I'm not sureIn summary, the person is seeking help in calculating the force created by angular motion for designing a wheelie bar for their motorcycle. They have provided a sketch and are considering factors such as torque, bike-rider mass, and center of mass. They are looking for guidance on how to calculate the force induced by angular motion as the wheelie bar hits the ground. They are also suggested to watch a video on rotating cylinders, torque, and moment of inertia for further understanding.
swerider
Hi there
I need some help in calculating the force created by angular motion.
I am designing a wheelie bar for my motorcycle and need to know what force the design must be able to handle.
I have attached a simple sketch of the design.
Taking into account; torque produced by the engine, bike-rider mass, position of center of mass...How would I go about calculating the force induced by angular motion about the rear wheel center as the wheelie bar hits the ground?
Thanks!

Attachments

• concept1.jpg
    concept1.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 463
Physics news on Phys.org
Do you want to know how much torque it would take to lift the front tire of your bike off the ground .
If you watch this video in like the first 10 minutes he talks about rotating cylinders and torque and moment of inertia , and relating angular acceleration to linear acceleration and relating it to force. And it will probably help you figure it out ,

Last edited by a moderator:

FAQ: Calculating angular acceleration and translating to force

1. What is angular acceleration?

Angular acceleration is the rate of change of angular velocity over time. It measures how quickly an object's angular velocity is changing, and in what direction.

2. How is angular acceleration calculated?

Angular acceleration can be calculated by taking the change in angular velocity and dividing it by the change in time. The formula for angular acceleration is: α = (Δω / Δt), where α is the angular acceleration, Δω is the change in angular velocity, and Δt is the change in time.

3. How does angular acceleration relate to force?

Angular acceleration is related to force through Newton's second law of motion, which states that the net force acting on an object is equal to its mass multiplied by its acceleration. In the case of angular acceleration, the force is equal to the moment of inertia multiplied by the angular acceleration. This is represented by the equation: τ = Iα, where τ is the torque (or force), I is the moment of inertia, and α is the angular acceleration.

4. How can angular acceleration be translated to linear force?

To translate angular acceleration to linear force, the moment of inertia must be multiplied by the distance from the axis of rotation. This is represented by the equation: F = Iαr, where F is the linear force, I is the moment of inertia, α is the angular acceleration, and r is the distance from the axis of rotation.

5. What are some real-life applications of calculating angular acceleration and translating to force?

Calculating angular acceleration and translating to force is important in various fields, such as engineering, physics, and sports. Some examples of real-life applications include designing and analyzing machinery, understanding the movement and stability of objects in motion, and improving athletic performance in sports such as gymnastics and figure skating.

Back