Calculating Arc Length for Parametric Equation x = e^t + e^-t and y = 5 - 2t

In summary, taking the derivative of both x and y with respect to t and then plugging it later gives the arc length of the parametric equation x = e^t + e^-t and y = 5 - 2t. This arc length is from 0 to 3. If this is the right integral, then how to compute it?
Calpalned

Homework Statement

The question involves finding the arc length of the parametric equation x = e^t + e^-t and y = 5 - 2t

Homework Equations

Arc length of a parametric equation ∫√(dy/dt)^2 + (dx/dt)^2 dt limits are from 0<t<3

The Attempt at a Solution

Taking the derivative of both x and y with respect to t and then plugging it later, I get
∫(2 + e^2t + e^-2t )^0.5 dt limits are from 0<t<3

Is this the right integral? If so, how do I compute it?

Physics news on Phys.org
Calpalned said:

Homework Statement

The question involves finding the arc length of the parametric equation x = e^t + e^-t and y = 5 - 2t

Homework Equations

Arc length of a parametric equation ∫√(dy/dt)^2 + (dx/dt)^2 dt limits are from 0<t<3

The Attempt at a Solution

Taking the derivative of both x and y with respect to t and then plugging it later, I get
∫(2 + e^2t + e^-2t )^0.5 dt limits are from 0<t<3

Is this the right integral? If so, how do I compute it?

Try to factor (2 + e^2t + e^-2t ) into a perfect square.

(2 + e^2t + e^-2t ) can be rewritten as e^2t(1) + 3^2t(e6^-4t) + 2(e^2t)(e^-2t) and by factoring
e^2t(1+e^-4t+2e^-2t)
Btw, how do I write equations in math form, because it's difficult type out exponents

Calpalned said:
(2 + e^2t + e^-2t ) can be rewritten as e^2t(1) + 3^2t(e6^-4t) + 2(e^2t)(e^-2t) and by factoring
e^2t(1+e^-4t+2e^-2t)
Btw, how do I write equations in math form, because it's difficult type out exponents
Look at the toolbar in the message box. It starts B I U ... and ends with ∑. Pressing the ∑ will give you access to Greek letters and other math symbols. Exponents and subscripts are accessed by pressing the x2 and x2 buttons on the toolbar.

Calpalned said:
e^2t(1+e^-4t+2e^-2t)

That's not the kind of factorization you need. You want to write it as (a+b)^2. Guess what a and b are.

I just solved it! The answer is e^3 - e^-3

Thank you so much

1. How do I find the arc length for this parametric equation?

To find the arc length for a parametric equation, you can use the formula:
L = ∫t1t2 √[(∂x/∂t)2 + (∂y/∂t)2] dt
In this case, t1 and t2 refer to the starting and ending values for the parameter t, which can be determined by setting the x and y equations equal to each other and solving for t.

2. Can I use this formula for any parametric equation?

Yes, this formula can be used for any parametric equation, as long as the x and y equations are continuous and have a unique derivative.

3. What is the significance of the parameter t in this equation?

The parameter t represents the independent variable in the parametric equation. It is used to define the relationship between x and y as they change over time.

4. Can I calculate the arc length for only a specific portion of the curve?

Yes, you can specify the starting and ending values for t in the formula to calculate the arc length for a specific portion of the curve.

5. How is the arc length related to the curvature of the curve?

The arc length is directly related to the curvature of the curve. As the curvature increases, the arc length also increases. This can be seen in the formula, where the square root of the sum of squared derivatives is used to calculate the arc length.