Calculating Buoyancy and Tension in a 2-Sphere System in an Ocean

  • Thread starter Thread starter aff67611
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Ocean Spheres
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
aff67611
Messages
2
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Two spheres, with volume 0.1m^3, and masses M1=200kg and M2=15kg, are connected by a thin wire. They are dropped into the ocean (assume Rho=1000kg/m^3) and allowed to sink



Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution


I know buoyancy = Rho * g * V
Buoyancy + Lift-M2 + Fwire = Sink-M1.

I'm not sure how to get the rising/sinking forces of the two spheres, and how they interact with each other though.

Any help at all is appreciated, thanks in advance.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to the forums,

Well initially, I think it would be best if we considered each sphere independently. So, can you write two separate equations for the net force acting on each sphere?
 
My best guess would be:

Heavy (case1). mg = downwards force - buoyancy. DownwardsF = 200g - 981N = 981N?

I'm not sure how the lighter sphere will act though. If it's specific density is lower than 1 then only part of the sphere will be submerged if it's acting separately?
 
For the heavy one, I was thinking something more of the form (taking upwards as positive);

[tex]F_{net} = T + \rho\cdot V\cdot g - m_{1}g[/tex]

Where T is the tension in the string. Does that make sense?