1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How many drops in all the oceans?

1. Sep 10, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Simple question, but I don't know how to correctly approach it.

How many drops of water are in all the oceans on earth? Assume that 1cm^3 contains 25 drops of water.

2. Relevant equations

The average depth of the ocean is 4 km. I know I will have to convert to cm.
    Radius of Earth: 6400 km
    About 70% of the earth is covered by oceans.

3. The attempt at a solution

Need help setting up the problem correctly.
    I've tried various things. I'm not sure if I have to use the surface area of a sphere or the volume of a sphere.

I have to subtract the depth of the oceans (4km) from 6400km...?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 10, 2009 #2

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Find the surface area of the earth, then take the proportion of this that is covered by water.
    Then imagine unrolling this areas as a flat map, not find the volume of a slab of water of this flat area and 4km high.

Then convert km^3 to cm^3

4. Sep 10, 2009 #3
    mgb_phys,
    by doing what you advised, I obtained a surface area of 5.15 x 10^8 km^2 times .70, which gave me a total of 3.6 x 10^8 km^2 roughly.

3.6 x 10^8 km^2 times 4 km for the depth gives me a volume of 1.44 x 10^14 cm ^3 (once I conver to cm).

Am I missing something? Because this is not the correct answer.

The question is asking me for the amount of drops of water. I should be multiplying my final answer, 1.44 x 10^14 cm ^3, by 25 (1cm^3 = 25 drops).

Where am I making a mistake?

5. Sep 10, 2009 #4

ideasrule

Homework Helper

1 km^3 = (1 00 000 cm)*(1 00 000 cm)*(1 00 000 cm)=10^15 cm^3, not 10^5 cm^3.

6. Sep 11, 2009 #5
    Oops. I see what I did wrong.

Thanks to both of you!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook