Calculating Climbing Speed for Raymer's Conceptual Design

• Thread starter Turlian21
  • Start date
In summary, to calculate the climbing speed using the Raymers conceptual approach, you need to know the desired rate of climb, T/W ratio, Cd0, Ae, and dynamic pressure. Once you have these values, you can plug them into the provided formula to determine the climbing speed.
Turlian21
Hi, I am proposing a new design and currently using the Raymers conceptual approach. When trying to calculate W/S for climb conditions, I don't know how I am supposed to get or propose the climbing speed if I have a defined goal of climb.

Formual used is W/S=( [(T/W)-G]+-sqroot{[(T/W)-G]2-(4Cd0/piAe)} ) / (2/[qpiAe])

where G=gradient=Rate of climb/Climbing speed or Vertical speed/horizontal speed.

Does anyone knows how should I propose/calculate/know Climbing(horizontal) speed?

I already determined Vmax, Vstall and Vtakeoff

Engineering news on Phys.org
. In order to calculate the climbing speed, you need to know the desired rate of climb, the thrust to weight ratio (T/W), the coefficient of drag (Cd0), the aspect ratio (Ae), and the dynamic pressure (q). Once you have these values, you can plug them into the formula above and solve for the climbing speed.

Related to Calculating Climbing Speed for Raymer's Conceptual Design

1. What is the purpose of calculating climbing speed for Raymer's conceptual design?

The purpose of calculating climbing speed for Raymer's conceptual design is to determine the maximum rate at which the aircraft can gain altitude, taking into account factors such as engine power, weight, and aerodynamic properties. This information is crucial for designing an efficient and safe aircraft.

2. What factors affect climbing speed for Raymer's conceptual design?

The factors that affect climbing speed for Raymer's conceptual design include the aircraft's weight, engine power, aerodynamic properties such as lift and drag, and environmental conditions such as air density and temperature.

3. How is climbing speed calculated for Raymer's conceptual design?

Climbing speed for Raymer's conceptual design is calculated using a combination of mathematical equations and performance charts. These take into account the aircraft's weight, engine power, and aerodynamic properties to determine the maximum rate at which the aircraft can climb.

4. Why is it important to accurately calculate climbing speed for Raymer's conceptual design?

Accurately calculating climbing speed for Raymer's conceptual design is important because it affects the aircraft's performance, efficiency, and safety. Knowing the maximum climbing speed allows for better design decisions and can help prevent potential issues such as stalling or loss of control during climb.

5. How can climbing speed for Raymer's conceptual design be optimized?

Climbing speed for Raymer's conceptual design can be optimized by adjusting factors such as weight, engine power, and aerodynamic properties. This can be achieved through design modifications or operational changes, such as using lighter materials or adjusting the angle of attack for better lift. Additionally, careful analysis and testing can help identify the most efficient climbing speed for a specific aircraft design.