1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Calculating conditional expected value

1. Apr 10, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Hi All, I have a homework question that I would like some hints on. I am given X and Y with uniform densities on [0,2], and Z := X+Y. The end goal is to find E[X|Z]. Now I know I can use symmetry to argue that E[X|Z] = E[Y|Z], and that E[X|Z] + E[Y|Z] = E[Z|Z] = Z, so 2*E[X|Z] = Z, and E[X|Z] = Z/2. However, I want to also evaluate it the "long way". To do so, I first went and found the convolutions of the densities of X and Y

2. Relevant equations
    [tex]
    \begin{eqnarray*}
    f_{x}(x),f_{y}(y) & = & \begin{cases}
    \frac{1}{2} & 0<x<2\\
    0 & otherwise\end{cases}\\\end{eqnarray*}
    \begin{eqnarray*}
    f_{z}(z) & = & (f_{x}*f_{y})(z)\\
    & = & \int_{0}^{2}\left[f_{x}(z-y)\frac{1}{2}\right]dy\end{eqnarray*}
    [/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    [tex]
    \begin{eqnarray*}
    f_{z}(z) & = & \begin{cases}
    \frac{1}{4}\int_{0}^{z}dy & 0\leq z\leq2\\
    \frac{1}{4}\int_{z-2}^{2}dy & 2<z\leq4\\
    0 & otherwise\end{cases}\end{eqnarray*}
    \begin{eqnarray*}
    f_{z}(z) & = & \begin{cases}
    \frac{z}{4} & 0\leq z\leq2\\
    \frac{4-z}{4} & 2<z\leq4\\
    0 & otherwise\end{cases}\end{eqnarray*}
    [/tex]

So I now have the density function of Z. Here is where I am getting confused; I can setup up E[X|Z] as follows:

[tex]\[
    E[X|Z]=\int_{0}^{2}xP(X=x|Z=z)[I(Z)]\][/tex]
    where I is an indicator variable for Z. My problem is how do I fit the density I found above into P(X|Z=z), and how do I evaluate an integral with an indicator variable. I would greatly appreciate any hints that you guys could provide. Thanks.

P.S. Sorry if this question has already been posted.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 11, 2010 #2
    Isn't the definition of P(X = x | Z = z) simply f_XZ_(x,z) / f_Z_(y), where f_XZ is the joint density and f_Z is the density of Z?

If you have an integral with an indicator variable, you typically just integrate over the set for which the image of indicator variable is 1 since elsewhere the indicator variable vanishes.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook