Calculating Decoupling Capacitor When Datasheets Don't Specify Parameters

In summary, when calculating the value for a decoupling capacitor for a Vdd pin to Vss, the formula I=\frac{C \cdot dv}{dt} is used. However, if the load capacitance is unknown, an alternative method is needed. This can be a challenge when datasheets do not provide necessary parameters, such as capacitance or rise time. In these cases, an experimental approach may be necessary, trying both the recommended value and the calculated one to see which works better. It is also important to consider the impedance of the decoupling capacitor and its placement in relation to the IC being decoupled. In a professional setting, decoupling capacitors are typically placed as close as possible to the IC
¡MR.AWESOME!
To calculate the value for a decoupling capacitor (Vdd pin to Vss), I use the formula
[tex] I=\frac{C \cdot dv}{dt} [/tex]
But what do I do if I don't know the load capacitance?

For example, I have a push/pull comparator whose output is connected directly to an input of a PIC mcu. The capacitance of the input pin is not specified in the PIC's datasheet. I can't accurately calculate the decoupling cap value for the comparator's Vdd pin. What am I supposed to do? Is there another way to go about calculating it with different parameters? I just used missing capacitance as an example but what would I do if the rise time or some other parameter wasn't specified?

Relevant datasheets:
http://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/en/DeviceDoc/22139b.pdf"
http://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/en/DeviceDoc/41291F.pdf"

On another note, what do you do when a datasheet gives a recommended value (0.1uF) for a decoupling cap, but if you actually do the math, you get a way different result? Should you stick with the recommendation even though it's likely that the writer just specified a rule-of-thumb value? Like on page 70 of http://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/en/DeviceDoc/22107a.pdf"

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
As it was explained to me, you sometimes see sets of three decoupling capacitors in parallel with Vdd/Vss of ICs--1, 0.1, 0.01 uF (to handle transients of different frequencies).

The steady state behaviour of these is whatever the parallel capacitance happens to be. However, given that decoupling capacitors work on transient signals (keeping voltage up in event of brown out, or some degree of suppression of voltage spikes), you can consider these to work more or less independently of each other. For the most part as long as they can supply current to the IC, and smooth out the supply voltage, they'll work reasonably well in their assigned role.

I'd adopt a more experimental approach: does the rule of thumb work? If so, great! If not, try what the calculations give you. If neither of these approaches work, figure out where you're getting voltage spikes (e.g. with motors or coils) or noise and try to suppress these (with flyback diodes, or through isolation of grounds or the likes).

Decoupling capacitor values are not super critical. That is why there is a predominance of
1.0 x 10-something F capacitors used.

The important factor is that the impedance of the decoupling cap is low compared with the impedance of the circuit it is decoupling - at the frequency concerned.

Yes the larger the capacitance the poorer the HF response (for cheap caps anyway and decoupling caps are the cheap ones) so sometimes wideband decoupling is performed by several caps in aprallel.

Thanks for the replies guys.

I'd adopt a more experimental approach: does the rule of thumb work? If so, great! If not, try what the calculations give you. If neither of these approaches work, figure out where you're getting voltage spikes (e.g. with motors or coils) or noise and try to suppress these (with flyback diodes, or through isolation of grounds or the likes).
I like that. It's nice and simple. Is that usually how it's done in a professional setting?

For SMT digital ICs, I will usually put one 0.1uF decoupling cap per rail input to the IC, and place the cap on the same side of the PCB as the SMT IC, with the rail side of the cap as close as possible to the IC rail input pin. Via the ground side of the cap to the voltage plane as close as possible to the rail side SMT pad of the cap. All of this helps to minimize the inductance of the decoupling cap, which is really important for RF decoupling quality.

What is a decoupling capacitor and why is it important?

A decoupling capacitor is an electronic component that is used to stabilize the power supply voltage in electronic circuits. It acts as a buffer between the power source and the electronic components, preventing sudden voltage changes and minimizing noise. It is important because it helps to ensure the proper functioning and reliability of electronic devices.

How do I calculate the value of a decoupling capacitor?

The value of a decoupling capacitor can be calculated using the formula C = I * ΔV / Δt, where C is the capacitance in Farads, I is the current in Amperes, ΔV is the desired voltage change, and Δt is the time interval in seconds. However, this calculation may vary depending on the specific circuit and design requirements.

What happens if the datasheet does not specify decoupling capacitor parameters?

If the datasheet does not specify decoupling capacitor parameters, it may be necessary to consult the manufacturer or conduct further testing to determine the appropriate value for the capacitor. Using an incorrect value or not using a decoupling capacitor at all can result in unstable circuit operation, noise interference, and potential damage to electronic components.

Is it better to use a single large decoupling capacitor or multiple smaller ones?

This depends on the specific circuit and design requirements. In some cases, using a single large decoupling capacitor can be more effective in stabilizing the power supply voltage. However, in other cases, using multiple smaller capacitors strategically placed throughout the circuit can provide better performance and noise reduction.

Can I use any type of capacitor as a decoupling capacitor?

No, not all capacitors are suitable for use as decoupling capacitors. The most commonly used types are ceramic and tantalum capacitors, as they have low ESR (Equivalent Series Resistance) and can handle high frequencies. It is important to consult the datasheet and select a capacitor with appropriate specifications for the specific circuit and design requirements.