Calculating Distance from Mirror for Virtual Image Height of 1.145 cm

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 4K views
I_LuV_FiZiX
Messages
27
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


An object whose height is 0.375 cm is at a distance of 10.5 cm from a spherical concave mirror. Its image is real and has a height of 1.145 cm. Calculate the radius of curvature of the mirror.

Correct, computer gets: 1.58e+01 cm

ACTUAL QUESTION
How far from the mirror is it necessary to place the above object in order to have a virtual image with a height of 1.145 cm?


Homework Equations


1/S + 1/Si = 2/R = 1/f
Hi/H = -Si/S


The Attempt at a Solution


I am not sure how to relate the equations...Also, I am unsure as to how the image being virtual in the actual question changes things. I know f=R/2 = 7.9cm

Homework Statement

 
Physics news on Phys.org
Using Hi/H = -Si/S find S in terms of Si. Put it in the equation 1/S + 1/Si = 2/R = 1/f with proper sign of S, Si and f. Solve for S.