Surface charge density of a plane

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving flux and multiple elements in a system. The solution involves calculating the enclosed charge and using it to find the surface charge density. The conversation also mentions the importance of a good drawing in solving such problems.
Guillem_dlc
Homework Statement
A positive point charge of value ##q=+2\, \mu \textrm{C}## is located at coordinate point ##(0,0,5)\, \textrm{cm}##, above an infinite homogeneously charged plane located at ##z=0##. If the flux through a sphere of radius ##R=10\, \textrm{cm}## centered at the origin of coordinates is ##1,08\cdot 10^5\, \textrm{Nm}^2/\textrm{C}##, calculate the value of the surface charge density of the plane.
Relevant Equations
Gauss's Law
$$\phi_E=\dfrac{Q_{\textrm{enclosed}}}{\varepsilon_0}\Rightarrow Q_{\textrm{enclosed}}=9,6\cdot 10^{-7}\, \textrm{C}$$
$$Q_{\textrm{enclosed}}=\sigma S=\sigma \pi R^2\Rightarrow \sigma =\dfrac{Q_{\textrm{enclosed}}}{\pi (0,1^2)}=3,04\cdot 10^{-5}\, \textrm{C}/\textrm{m}^2$$

I have a lot of problems with the flux exercises. I have a hard time seeing how they act when I have more than one element in the system as in this case.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Can you draw the point charge, the plane and the sphere?

Gordianus said:
Can you draw the point charge, the plane and the sphere?
1.png

Guillem_dlc said:
You have drawn the point charge outside of the sphere. Is this accurate according to the problem formulation?

Orodruin said:
You have drawn the point charge outside of the sphere. Is this accurate according to the problem formulation?
No, I see now. I think that I have the solution:

$$\phi_E = \dfrac{Q_{\textrm{enclosed}}}{\varepsilon_0} \Rightarrow Q_{\textrm{enclosed}}=9,6\cdot 10^{-7}\, \textrm{C}$$
$$\phi_{\textrm{enclosed}}=\sigma S=\sigma \pi R^2+q\Rightarrow \sigma=\dfrac{Q_{\textrm{enclosed}}-q}{S}=-33\, \mu \textrm{C}/\textrm{m}^2$$

A good drawing fixes many problems.

What is surface charge density of a plane?

Surface charge density of a plane is a measure of the electric charge per unit area on the surface of a plane. It is represented by the symbol σ and is typically measured in units of coulombs per square meter (C/m2).

How is surface charge density of a plane calculated?

The surface charge density of a plane can be calculated by dividing the total charge on the plane by its surface area. The formula for surface charge density is σ = Q/A, where Q is the total charge and A is the surface area.

What factors affect the surface charge density of a plane?

The surface charge density of a plane is affected by the amount of charge on the plane, the size of the plane, and the material the plane is made of. It is also affected by the presence of other nearby charges or conductors.

Why is surface charge density important in electrostatics?

Surface charge density is important in electrostatics because it helps us understand how electric charges behave on the surface of a conductor. It also helps us calculate the electric field and potential near the surface of a conductor.

How does surface charge density relate to electric field?

Surface charge density is directly related to the electric field near the surface of a conductor. The electric field is proportional to the surface charge density, with a constant of proportionality known as the permittivity of free space. A higher surface charge density will result in a stronger electric field near the surface of the conductor.