Calculating Electric Field at the Midpoint of a Charged Rod

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
madah12
Messages
326
Reaction score
1

Homework Statement



let say we have a positively charged rod with length L then what is the electrical field at the middle point of the rod


Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution


I put the origin at the middle point
so dE=Kdq/r^2, dq = Q/L dx
E= kQ/L integral from -L/2 to L/2 (1/x^2)dx
=-KQ/L[2/L +2/L] =KQ/L (4/L) =-4KQ/L^2

well I expected it to be zero and it wasn't so should it be if so then what did I do wrong?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
The electric field is defined as [tex]\mathbf{E} = \displaystyle \lim_{q_0 \to 0} \frac{\mathbf{F}}{q_0}[/tex].

The r2 term in the expression for dE is the distance between some charge element dQ and this test charge q0. You didn't take this into account in your setup.
 
well my test charge q_0 is at the mid point of the rod and so is my origin so the distance between it and any other charge is x.