1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric Field at the End of a Line of Charge

1. Jan 21, 2017 #1
    Field at End of Line of Charge 2

A charged rod of length L=7.10 m lies centered on the x axis as shown. The rod has a charge density which varies according to λ=ax^2 where a=−20.2 μC/m^3 .

What is the x component of the electric field at a point on the x axis a distance of D=3.70 m from the end of the rod?

media%2F71b%2F71ba0d9b-0e30-4c4b-8021-8ce735eb4fa9%2Fphp3k5qvx.png

Relevant equations: Coulomb's Law - E=kQ/r^2

The attempt at a solution: Ok, so part I of this problem was to calculate the total charge of the rod, which I figured out easily enough. Part II, as stated above, is to find the electric field at some point P along the axis of the line of charge. Here's my attempted solution:

E = ∫ (kdQ/r^2)*<i> where dQ=ax^2dx where r=x. The x^2 on top and x^2 on bottom cancel out so you just end up integrating dx with bounds (D+L) and (L) and multiply by k and a. That didn't work, so I tried the equation with <xi> for the r vector and that didn't work either. I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. Help!

Last edited: Jan 21, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 21, 2017 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

You need to integrate over the charge, from -L/2 to L/2. But the distance from the dq's to the point P is not the same as the x that "scans" the rod.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted