1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating electric flux with a constant electric field

1. Aug 2, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A vertical electric field of magnitude 2 X 10^4 N/C exists above the Earth's surface on a day when a thunderstorm is brewing. A car with a rectangular size of 3.00 m by 1.50 m is traveling along a dry gravel roadway sloping downward at 7.0°. Determine the electric flux through the bottom of the car.

2. Relevant equations

Eflux = E*(A cos theta)

3. The attempt at a solution

(2*10^4)*(3*1.5)*(cos 7) = 89,329 Nm^2/C = 8.93*10^4 Nm^2/C

Is this correct? It seems pretty straightforward to me, but I can't help think that there is some trick in the question that I'm not seeing.

Flux through a surface perpendicular to the electric field obviously has cos 90 = 0 as the angle angle associated with it so it would just be Eflux = E*A, but there is an angle here, so it would simply be cos 7. Does the thunderstorm brewing have any bearing on the equations affecting the answer?

Last edited: Aug 2, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 2, 2011 #2

Disconnected

Gold Member

It seems the thunderstorm that is brewing is the source of the E field, and is just a little back story.

Have a quick thought about it. The X flux is the amount of X going through a surface area, correct?

If the field is uniform and verticle, will there be a difference between the flux through a horizontal surface A and a surface B, if surface B's horizontal componant of area (oh gawd did I just slaughter that phrase, but I hope you get my point) is the same as surface A?

For example, if there is a sheet area 1m by 3m held horizontally in a rain storm (assuming uniform verticle rain) will it's dry patch be the same area as a 1m by 5m sheet held at 53* (or whatever the angle in a 3,4,5 triangle is)?

So you are really just finding the surface area seen by the uniform field, then multiplying that by the strength of that field. It is very simple.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook