Calculating Electric Potential of a Proton in Hydrogen Atom

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 17K views
FelixISF
Messages
23
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Find the electric potential a distance of .5 x 10^-10 m from the proton of a hydrogen atom


Homework Equations


V= kQ/r


The Attempt at a Solution


I know how to answer the question, because I know which equation to use. What I do not understand is, where the equation comes from ?
Could somebody bullet point the derivation of the equation (algebra, not calculus please )


Regards and Thanks!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi FelixISF! :smile:
FelixISF said:
V= kQ/r
…
What I do not understand is, where the equation comes from ?
Could somebody bullet point the derivation of the equation (algebra, not calculus please )

It comes from the field (the force), which in this case is a Coulomb's law field.

The field has to be the gradient of the potential.

The field is -kQ/r2 in the r-direction, so the potential has to be kQ/r (plus a constant). :wink:

(That's calculus, of course … I don't understand what you mean by an algebra derivation :confused:)
 


I don't see how you go from -kQ/r^2 to kQ/r... Apart from the mathematical relation ship of the field being the gradient of the potential, I don't get the intuition behind it.
so field = -kQ/r^2 and potential = kQ/r
Now, there must be a relation between potential and field with which you can transform the field equation to the potential equation.. Do you understand what I am asking for?
 


Use the equation [tex]V=\int_{\infty}^{r}\vec{E}\cdot \vec{dl}[/tex] where V is the electric potential. In the case of a point charge you can substitute [tex]\vec{dl}=dr[/tex] and [tex]\vec{E}=E[/tex], so your integral becomes [tex]V=\int_{\infty}^r E \; dr[/tex].
 
In other words, potential energy is another name for work done (by a conservative force),

so electric potential difference = PE difference per charge = work done per charge = force times distance per charge = kQ/r2 times ∆r