Calculating Energy Required to Rotate a Spiral Spring by 180 Degrees

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
29 replies · 3K views
KiNGGeexD
Messages
317
Reaction score
1
A spiral spring exerts a restoring torque on an axis proportional to the angle through which the axis is turned. If it provides a torque of 10-5 Nmrad-1, find the energy required to turn it through 180degrees from its relaxed state?

My solution was simple

Work done = torque* the angle theta but I seemed to get the wrong answer!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi KiNGGeexD! :smile:

(try using the X2 button just above the Reply box :wink:)

I think you're misunderstanding the question …

the torque isn't constant, it's 10-5*θ Nm, depending on the instantaneous angle θ. :wink:​
 
Ah so I need to integrate τ dθ for 0-180 degrees?:)
 
Maybe I'm getting confused but would the answer not just be the same?:)
 
I'm clearly integrating wrong haha

I had

W= τ dθ

From 0-180 ok I'm not 100% lol
 
an integral should have an ∫ in it :confused:

(and limits)

and what is τ ?​
 
τ= Iα ?

And yea I know about the imetrgral sign and limits I just can't do it on my phone:(!
 
KiNGGeexD said:
And yea I know about the imetrgral sign and limits I just can't do it on my phone:(!

try typing two #, then \int, then two more # :wink:

tiny-tim said:
the torque isn't constant, it's 10-5*θ Nm, depending on the instantaneous angle θ. :wink:​
 
hmm :redface: … what you mean is correct, but that's certainly not the correct way to write it
 
if it means what i think it means, yes

what result do you get?​