Calculating Energy Requirements for HRSG in Hydrogen Power Plants

engali
Hi guys,

I’m a final-year student studying mechanical engineering. I’m doing my dissertation on hydrogen power plants.

I had a question….

How would I work out the energy needed to run a HRSG in my cycle.

I understand this depends on various parameters and needs testing and simulations but just needed a rough ball park.

Thanks, any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.

What have you found so far in your reading? I did a Google search of your thread title and got lots of useful hits...

Likes russ_watters
engali said:
How would I work out the energy needed to run a HRSG in my cycle.
This question doesn't make a lot of sense as asked. The HRSG is recovering energy, it's not a device that needs a specific amount of power to run, you size it to recover as much energy as you economically can.

Did you take your university's Power Plant Design course? This question at this level is a little disconcerting...

Likes berkeman

What is an HRSG and how does it function in hydrogen power plants?

An HRSG, or Heat Recovery Steam Generator, is a crucial component in hydrogen power plants, especially those utilizing gas turbines. It captures exhaust heat from the turbine that would otherwise be wasted and uses it to generate steam. This steam can then drive a steam turbine to produce additional electricity or be used in other industrial processes, enhancing the overall efficiency of the power plant.

How do you calculate the energy requirements for an HRSG in a hydrogen power plant?

Calculating the energy requirements for an HRSG involves several steps. First, you need to determine the amount of heat available in the turbine exhaust gases, which depends on the fuel type, turbine efficiency, and operating conditions. Next, calculate the energy needed to convert water into steam based on its enthalpy of vaporization and the desired steam output rate. Finally, assess the efficiency of the HRSG itself to find out how much of the captured heat can be effectively used to generate steam.

What factors affect the efficiency of an HRSG in hydrogen power plants?

The efficiency of an HRSG in hydrogen power plants is influenced by several factors including the design of the HRSG, the quality and temperature of the exhaust gases, the pressure and temperature at which the HRSG operates, and the materials used in its construction. Additionally, ambient conditions such as temperature and humidity can also impact performance. Optimizing these factors can lead to better heat recovery and increased overall plant efficiency.

Are there specific challenges in designing HRSGs for hydrogen-fired turbines compared to natural gas turbines?

Yes, there are specific challenges when designing HRSGs for hydrogen-fired turbines compared to natural gas turbines. Hydrogen combustion produces higher flame temperatures and faster combustion speeds, which can lead to increased thermal stress and potential damage to the HRSG components. Moreover, the water vapor content in hydrogen combustion exhaust is higher, which can influence the corrosion rates and material selection for the HRSG. Designing for these factors is crucial to ensure durability and efficient operation.

How can the performance of an HRSG in a hydrogen power plant be optimized?

To optimize the performance of an HRSG in a hydrogen power plant, focus on improving thermal efficiency by enhancing heat transfer capabilities and reducing thermal losses. This can be achieved through advanced design techniques such as using finned tubes, optimizing the flow paths of gases and steam, and selecting materials that can withstand high temperatures and corrosive environments. Regular maintenance and operational adjustments based on real-time performance data can also help maintain optimal efficiency.