Calculating Energy Transfer in a Radio with Current and Voltage

  • Thread starter Thread starter Sace Ver
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Energy Radio
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 2K views
Sace Ver
Messages
79
Reaction score
2

Homework Statement


How much energy is transferred to a radio if a current of 0.40A run through it for 1.5 minutes with 115V?

V=115V
I=0.40A
t=1.5 min

Homework Equations


Not sure which equation to use.

The Attempt at a Solution


Not sure which equation to use.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Use the GUESS method: Given, Unknown, try to find an Equation that kind of fits the given and unknown quantities (or just multiply every given number), Substitute the numerical values, "Solve".

(None of this requires any insight in the physics, of course. It is just a way of getting through schools with this kind of teaching.)
 
PietKuip said:
Use the GUESS method: Given, Unknown, try to find an Equation that kind of fits the given and unknown quantities (or just multiply every given number), Substitute the numerical values, "Solve".

(None of this requires any insight in the physics, of course. It is just a way of getting through schools with this kind of teaching.)
I could use Q=Ixt right?
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: PietKuip
Sace Ver said:
I could use Q=Ixt right?
Is Q energy, or something else?

What's the definition of electric current?
 
Sace Ver said:
I could use Q=Ixt right?
Yes, the charge Q is proportional to current and duration, but there is no build-up of charge in a radio, it is not very relevant in this context.
 
SteamKing said:
Is Q energy, or something else?

What's the definition of electric current?
Okay first I would use Q=Ixt and then I would use E=VQ.
 
Sace Ver said:
Okay first I would use Q=Ixt and then I would use E=VQ.
And that would be the right answer!
(But it also reveals a complete lack of understanding... I am not blaming you, it is the way you are being taught.)