1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating error in measurements w/ uncertainty

1. Jun 30, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The radius of a circle is measured to be 2.4 cm +/- 0.1 cm.
    Find the error in the area of the circle.
    Find the error in the circumference.

2. Relevant equations
    Have no idea but I'm taking a guess it could be multiplying fractional uncertainties?

3. The attempt at a solution
    I got 18.09 for area and 15.08 for circumference...just need a way to go about calculating error

...really rusty in math and learning physics now, pardon the noob question.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 30, 2011 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

A discussion of error analysis can be found here:

http://teacher.pas.rochester.edu/PHY_LABS/AppendixB/AppendixB.html

Near the end of the document is a table showing how to deal with the uncertainty values when performing various mathematical operations.

Keep in mind that constants (like 2 or π) are exact and have zero uncertainty.

4. Jun 30, 2011 #3
    Thanks but I'm still a little confused...would I have to do the 0.1/2.4 twice and add them or what?

5. Jun 30, 2011 #4

gneill

For what calculation?

You might want to ponder entry 5 in the table, which deals with numbers with uncertainties raised to a power.

6. Jun 30, 2011 #5
    Well in that scenario delta Z would be the change in 2.4 + .1 and 2.4 -.1 right? What about delta A?

7. Jun 30, 2011 #6

gneill

Z is the result. ΔZ is the uncertainty in the result. A is the number with uncertainty ΔA. So in the case of calculating Z = A2, n = 2 and
    [tex] \frac{\Delta Z}{Z} = n \frac{\Delta A}{A} [/tex]
    giving
    [tex] \Delta Z = 2 Z \frac{\Delta A}{A} [/tex]
    and since Z = A2, this yields
    [tex] \Delta Z = 2 A^2 \frac{\Delta A}{A} [/tex]
    You could reach the same result using entry 3 in the table (for Z = A*B) by setting B = A and ΔB = ΔA.

8. Jun 30, 2011 #7
    Ok thanks for clarifying.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook