Uncertainty/error of a volume is greater than the normal volume

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the volume of an empty cylinder with given dimensions and uncertainty. A method for calculating the volume with error propagation is referenced, but the result is questioned as it produces a negative value. It is clarified that the volume being calculated is the volume of the material comprising the cylinder walls.
AndrewPX

Homework Statement

I have an empty cylinder with an external diameter of (23.0 ± 0.5) mm, an internal diameter of (22.5 ± 0.5) mm and a height of (60.0 ± 0.5) mm. I need to calculate its volume with its uncertainty/error.

Homework Equations

203900-cf7e51747a9e69c35bc9278a2dca6675.jpg

The Attempt at a Solution

I do it like this exercise:
http://www.chem.hope.edu/~polik/Chem345-2000/errorpropagation.htm
The result gives me (1070 ± 2000) mm ^ 3.
in my opinion it is not right since the error / uncertainty indicates the interval of the error and this can not be negative since there are no negative measures ...

Physics news on Phys.org
AndrewPX said:
I need to calculate its volume with its uncertainty/error.
What volume would that be?
-- The volume of the void inside the cylinder?
-- The overall volume occupied by the cylinder?
-- The volume of the material comprising the cylinder walls?

If you showed details of your work so far we might be able to tell what you are going for :wink:

the volume of the material comprising the cylinder walls. Sorry idk how to put my work..

AndrewPX said:
Sorry idk how to put my work..
To write math symbols in the forum, you can click the little Sigma symbol above the edit window "∑" to get access to math symbols. And there is a full LaTeX tutorial under INFO at the top of the page, in Help/How-To.

ohh ok thanks

What is uncertainty/error of a volume?

Uncertainty/error of a volume refers to the potential discrepancy or inaccuracy in the measurement of a volume compared to the accepted or expected value. It is a measure of how much the measured volume may deviate from the true volume.

How is uncertainty/error of a volume calculated?

Uncertainty/error of a volume is typically calculated by finding the difference between the measured volume and the accepted or expected value, and then dividing that difference by the accepted or expected value. This is then multiplied by 100 to give the uncertainty/error as a percentage.

What factors can contribute to the uncertainty/error of a volume?

There are several factors that can contribute to the uncertainty/error of a volume, including the precision and accuracy of the measuring instrument, the skill and technique of the person performing the measurement, and the environmental conditions (such as temperature and pressure) which may affect the volume being measured.

How can uncertainty/error of a volume be minimized?

To minimize uncertainty/error of a volume, it is important to use precise and accurate measuring instruments, follow proper measurement techniques, and control for any external factors that may affect the volume being measured. Additionally, taking multiple measurements and calculating an average can also help to reduce uncertainty/error.

Why is it important to consider uncertainty/error of a volume?

Considering uncertainty/error of a volume is important because it provides a measure of the reliability and accuracy of the measurement. It allows for a better understanding of the potential range of values that the true volume may fall within, and helps to communicate the level of confidence in the measured volume. It is also crucial for ensuring the validity and reproducibility of scientific experiments and research.