Calculating flux when charge on vertex of cube

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 5K views
TsAmE
Messages
129
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



A point charge q = 112 x 10^-9 C is placed at the centre of a cube of side l = 0.2 m.

If the charge is moved all the way to one vertex of the cube, determine the flux
through each of the faces.

Homework Equations



None.

The Attempt at a Solution



I looked at the answer:

Flux through each face = Total flux / 24
= 2 109.23 / 24
= 527 Nm^2/C

And don't understand why the 24 is used.

I read somewhere that it said that the flux through the faces adjacent to the vertex where the charge is placed = 0, but I don't understand why? I think this might be why I don't understand the use of the "24". Could someone please help?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry forgot to attach a diagram
 

Attachments

  • Cube.jpg
    Cube.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 746
hi!
Flux through the faces touching the charge is zero because the Electric field is parallel to them. And flux through each face = ∅/24, since you have 24 faces in the cube diagram you attached.