1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating Force (magnitude and direction) on a proton

1. Mar 31, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Diagram shows the separations of a proton, electron, and α particle (charge +2e). What is the force (magnitude and direction) on the proton?

2. Relevant equations
    Addition of vectors, Coulomb's law

3. The attempt at a solution

I keep getting 82 degrees but the answer is 68 degrees below the x axis

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 31, 2012 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

It would help if you labelled each of the particles on the diagram, but I suppose we can work out what each of them must be from your desired result :smile:

If you show your work, perhaps we can see where the its going wrong.

4. Mar 31, 2012 #3
    Sorry about that! Was basing it off memory lol.

okay so i found the force between the charge of positive 2 and the proton to be 2.1e-8 N, and i found the other force to be 3.5e-8 N. then i found the x and y components of the forces, and that was 3.4e-8 and 7e-9, respectively. i then added this to the x component of the first force (since there was so y) and found the angle that they create to be 82 degrees, which is incorrect

5. Mar 31, 2012 #4

gneill

Staff: Mentor

How did you calculate the x and y components of the second force? It looks like you've interchanged them. Take a look at your diagram; you should be able to estimate the relative sizes of the x and y components of a given force.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook