1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proton velocity(magnitude and direction)

1. Nov 14, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A proton enters a region in which there is a magnetic field B=0.2T pointing along the positive z axis,and an electric field E=7.4 N/C pointing along the positive y axis. If we want the proton to continue travelling in a straight line without changing speed,what should its velocity(magnitude and direction) be?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 14, 2012 #2
  4. Nov 14, 2012 #3

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Welcome to PF;
    The way to get the most out of this forum is to show us your attempt at the problem - otherwise the best we can manage is to point you at some theory that will no doubt also be in your notes.

5. Nov 15, 2012 #4
    I am really confused with this problem and really dont know where to start. Do I figure the two forces seperate first? Also ,I wouldnt think the proton is going to go in a straight line.

6. Nov 15, 2012 #5

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Spinnor gave you a reference to look at - that should help.

You have a situation where there are two forces acting on an object - you know how to handle this: do a free-body diagram. Draw an arrow for the force from the B field, use that to work out which direction the force from the E field should point ... from that you can use Newton's laws to work out the magnitude.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook