Calculating Force on Quarter Cylinder Dam Gate with Hinge and Stopper

  • Thread starter Thread starter cambo86
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Cylinder Gate
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 3K views
cambo86
Messages
25
Reaction score
0
This is a picture of a quarter cylinder dam gate with a hinge at A and a stopper at B.

I need to find the force on the stopper at B as a function of the radius (R) and height of the water (h). I was going to do this by working out the moments around the hinge at A. I can solve for pressure forces and weight forces of the gate but I don't know the normal force from the ground. The hinge will have a force in the y direction so it will affect the normal force. I also don't know where to position my normal force, is it always going to be 1/2 of R or will it go through the combined centre of mass of gate and water above?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Alternatively am I thinking about this problem in the wrong way and need to try a different method to find the force on the stopper?
 
Does the gate really touch the ground? Perhaps it only touches the stopper?
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: 1 person
Thanks, I spoke to the lecturer today and he said that the reaction from the ground is zero.