jackkk_gatz
- 45
- 1
Yes now I notice I did, I realized that the torque performed by the fluid is an integral as well, I remembered another expression is used as erobz pointed it out.haruspex said:You did? Maybe too soon. In your double integral there should be another factor y, leading to a ##\frac 13h^3## term, not ##\frac 12 h^2##.
Taking the sixth equation and applying the simplifying assumption H>>h, gives ##\sin(\theta)=\frac{\rho_wH}{\rho_gL}##. That's the same as I got for the hydrostatic solution in post #16. @erobz got something similar, just a factor 3/2 difference.jackkk_gatz said:Yes now I notice I did, I realized that the torque performed by the fluid is an integral as well, I remembered another expression is used as erobz pointed it out.
haruspex said:That's the same as I got for the hydrostatic solution in post #16. @erobz got something similar, just a factor 3/2 difference.
It is not valid to take the average pressure and pretend that is applied equally across the plate. You have to integrate the torques.erobz said:That factor you are mentioning bothers me (they shouldn't be different):
$$\bar p = \frac{ \rho g \left( H - h \right) + \rho g \left( H - h \cos \theta \right) }{2} = \frac{\rho g }{2} \left( 2H - h\left( 1+ \cos \theta \right) \right)$$
Then determine the moment arm of the resultant force ##F= \bar p A##:
$$y_{cp} = \bar y + \frac{ \bar I }{ \bar y A}$$
##\bar y = \frac h 2##
##A = hW##
##\bar I = \frac{1}{12} W h^3##
$$ \implies y_{cp} = \frac h 2 + \frac{ \frac{1}{12} W h^3 }{ \frac h 2 W h } = \frac h 2 + \frac h 6 = \frac 2 3 h $$
Then summing the moments:
$$ \rho_{gate} \cancel{hW}L \cancel{g}\sin \theta \frac {\cancel{h}} {\cancel{2}} = \frac 2 3 \cancel{h} \frac{\rho \cancel{g} }{ \cancel{2}} \left( 2H - h\left( 1+ \cos \theta \right) \right) \cancel{h W}$$
$$ \rho_{gate} L \sin \theta = \frac 2 3 \rho \left( 2H - h\left( 1+ \cos \theta \right) \right)$$
It must be missing from your result because of your assumption ##h \ll H##, which effectively neglects the change in hydrostatic pressure across the gate.
It is perfectly valid for hydrostatic pressure distribution (linear) to apply the resultant force ##F = \bar p A## at the center of pressure ##y_{cp}##.haruspex said:It is not valid to take the average pressure and pretend that is applied equally across the plate. You have to integrate the torques.
As shown, it seems to me that this problem has problems.jackkk_gatz said:I'm working with chapter 2 and chapter 3-Elementary fluid Dynamics. The book I worked on class was Fluid Mechanics by Munson. My professor did not specify which topic is the subject of this problem, he only said that the topics that would be relevant to the problems, would be hydrostatics and bernoulli.
And there are no values, just variables.
Ah, that's what ##y_{cp}## means. But the centre of pressure is only going to be 2/3 of the way along if it is zero at one end. As H increases relative to ##h\cos(\theta)##, the centre of pressure will move towards h/2.erobz said:It is perfectly valid for hydrostatic pressure distribution (linear) to apply the resultant force ##F = \bar p A## at the center of pressure ##y_{cp}##.
If you would like I can share the derivation in my text book?
I would not assume the diagram is that accurate. We are not given separate variables for the depth of the gate and the depth of the vertical aperture.Lnewqban said:If the hinged gate at the bottom is initially in a vertical position, as represented in your linked diagram
The depth, h, was missing from the initial post.Lnewqban said:Being vertically hanging from its top hinge, those “width W, thickness L and density ρ2” do not mean anything, regading its closing capability via torque due the gate’s weight.
Unless there is something restraining it, it will always open a bit, until the reservoir is empty.Lnewqban said:This hinged gate could be an automatic relieve valve, which remains closed by gravity for open surface levels below H, but crack-opens to avoid overflow at the top of the tank, if the surface level goes above the H-limit.
That would be impossible to answer without knowing the rate at which water is entering the reservoir.Lnewqban said:the professor may be asking to “determine the angle of the gate with respect to the vertical” that will prevent any increase of the level in the reservoir (actually “containing a liquid”) above “a height H”.
Yeah, I agree with that. My ##y_{cp}## is wrong.haruspex said:Ah, that's what ##y_{cp}## means. But the centre of pressure is only going to be 2/3 of the way along if it is zero at one end. As H increases relative to ##h\cos(\theta)##, the centre of pressure will move towards h/2.
That expression cannot be right for the centre of pressure on the gate as a distance from the hinge. It must be between 0 and h.erobz said:Yeah, I agree with that. My ##y_{cp}## is wrong.
$$ \bar y = H - \frac h 2 \cos \theta $$
$$ y_{cp} = H - \frac h 2 \cos \theta + \frac{ \frac {1 }{12}W h^3}{ \left( H - \frac h 2 \cos \theta \right) Wh}$$
There is no way all that is 1 though. That part has to be a product of your assumption of ## h \ll H##
Yeah I saw something was off!haruspex said:That expression cannot be right for the centre of pressure on the gate as a distance from the hinge. It must be between 0 and h.
From first principles I get that the centre of pressure, as a distance from the hinge, is ##\frac h2\frac{3(H-h)+2h\cos(\theta)}{2(H-h)+h\cos(\theta)}##.erobz said:Yeah I saw something was off!
$$ \bar y = H - h( 1 - \frac 1 2 \cos \theta )$$
...I think
so
$$ y_{cp} = H - h( 1 - \frac 1 2 \cos \theta ) + \frac{ \frac {1 }{12}W h^3}{ \left( H - h( 1 - \frac 1 2 \cos \theta ) \right) Wh}$$
I think the consensus is try the dynamic approach.jackkk_gatz said:I got a little lost, what happened? Is there a consensus on what approach is correct? Or is there still no definitive answer?
Let me see if I understood this correctly, I can find the velocity at the outlet of the gate as a free jet? Then use this velocity to find a function for the pressure at the gate? Then use this function to get the total torque, like I did previously when I used the static pressure?haruspex said:You are not asked to consider the process of the gate opening from the closed position. You only need to treat it as equilibrium, i.e. find at what angle the torques balance.
You can start by considering the end-to-end process. Water that is essentially static just before the gate eventually exits the gate, back to atmospheric pressure. Solve to find the exit velocity v.
What is the linear velocity at an arbitrary distance through the gate (measured along the gate from axle) in terms of v?
Use Bernoulli again to find the pressure at an arbitrary distance through the gate and the torque an element there exerts about the gate axle.
Integrate to get the total torque (messy) and equate to the gravitational torque.
Yes.jackkk_gatz said:find the velocity at the outlet of the gate as a free jet?
No, use the velocity at exit and the known way that the height h(x) varies down the length of the gate (x) to find the velocity as a function of x.jackkk_gatz said:Then use this velocity to find a function for the pressure at the gate?
I guess I have to find h(x) with V1A1=V2A2, then use the bernoulli equation to find p(x). So I haveharuspex said:No, use the velocity at exit and the known way that the height h(x) varies down the length of the gate (x) to find the velocity as a function of x.
From that, use Bernoulli to find the pressure as p(x).
Then you are in a position to calculate the net torque on the gate from the water.
Not quite.jackkk_gatz said:So I have
##v_1x\cos(\theta) = (h-h\cos(\theta))\sqrt{2gH}##
Okay I seeharuspex said:Not quite.
What is the height of the gate at distance x down it from the hinge?
(You can check your answer by putting in x=0 to get h, x=h to get h-hcos(theta).)
A couple problems with that last line.jackkk_gatz said:Okay I see
##v_1(h-x\cos(\theta)) = (h-h\cos(\theta))\sqrt{2gH}##
Is this what you meant?
If this is correct
##v_1 =\frac {(h-h\cos(\theta))\sqrt{2gH}} {(h-x\cos(\theta))}##
Then I use Bernoulli, P1 being at the top of the reservoir
##P_atm =P(x) + v(x)p/2+pgh(x)##
##P+pg(H-h) =P(x) + v^2(x)p/2+pgh(x)##haruspex said:A couple problems with that last line.
On the right, you forgot to square the velocity.
On the left, you need the corresponding terms somewhere on the same streamline. That can be the surface of the flow at exit from the gate, where you know the gauge pressure is zero, or just before entry to the gate, at height h, where the velocity is zero.
You don't need that P (which I assume is atmospheric pressure). We can take all pressures as gauge, i.e. relative to atmospheric.jackkk_gatz said:##P+pg(H-h) =P(x) + v^2(x)p/2+pgh(x)##
why the velocity at h is zero? I would think at the top the velocity is zero since it is not moving, not at H-h
Unfortunately we have given conflicting advice on where to take the first point , but either will serve. At the surface, p = 0, z=H, v=0; at the hinge, just inside the reservoir, p=g(H-h)##\rho##, z=h, v=0.erobz said:Take your first point at the surface of the reservoir, under the assumption that area is large in comparison to the discharge cross-section. Continuity implies that the velocity at the surface will be approximately…?
PS the variable for density is “\rho” I feel like ##P## and ##p## are going to be confusing choices.
I just thought it helps skirt the whole " I believe its approximately zero at the surface, but not down at the top of the gate" issue.haruspex said:Unfortunately we have given conflicting advice on where to take the first point , but either will serve. At the surface, p = 0, z=H, v=0; at the hinge, just inside the reservoir, p=g(H-h)##\rho##, z=h, v=0.
And yes, since lowercase p is usually used for pressure (at least in statements of the Bernoulli equation) it is important to use ##\rho## for density.