Calculate the torque of a hinge in a dam

In summary, the conversation discusses how to calculate the torque on a gate in a dam due to the pressure exerted by water. The gate is 2.00 m high, 4.00 m wide, and hinged along its center. The conversation includes a hint to calculate the torque on a thin, horizontal strip at a depth h and integrate this over the gate. The conversation also discusses the use of atmospheric pressure and the distance from the hinge to the water surface in determining the torque. It is mentioned that the pressure exerted on the gate will not be the same at the top as at a depth of 2m, and the conversation concludes with a reminder to consider the distance from both edges of the gate to the center and
tinsel89

Homework Statement

The upper edge of a gate in a dam runs along the water surface. The gate is 2.00 m high and 4.00m wide and is hinged along a horizontal line through its center.
Calculate the torque about the hinge arising from the force due to the water. (Hint: Calculate the torque on a thin, horizontal strip at a depth h and integrate this over the gate.)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I wasn't sure how to calculate torque without force, but I figured maybe I could use atmospheric pressure as follows:
F=100000*8(area of gate)=800000N
but then I don't know how the integration comes to play, I tried just multiplying the force by the distance between the hinge and the surface of water to find the torque:
I assumed it is the distance r from the surface of the water to the center of the gate which is half the height of the gate
d=2*0.5=1m
torque=rF=1*800000
dont know how to properly integrate the toque over the gate and if the distance I have used is correct.

Attachments

• YF-14-36.jpg
    YF-14-36.jpg
    5.9 KB · Views: 580
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
From your diagram, one edge of the gate is at the water surface. The other edge is submerged at a depth of 2m. Do you think the pressure exerted on the gate by the water will be the same at the top as at a depth of 2m? How does pressure change with depth in a column of water?

You are right to consider a distance from the edge of the gate to the centre (axis of rotation). But don't forget that if one edge lies a distance z from the axis, the other lies a distance -z. Meaning, you should realize that the torques will cancel to some extent but not totally because the pressure is changing with depth.

1. How do you calculate the torque of a hinge in a dam?

The torque of a hinge in a dam can be calculated by multiplying the force applied to the hinge by the perpendicular distance from the force to the axis of rotation. This can be represented by the equation: torque = force x distance.

2. What is the purpose of calculating the torque of a hinge in a dam?

The purpose of calculating the torque of a hinge in a dam is to determine the amount of rotational force that is being applied to the hinge. This information is important for ensuring the stability and durability of the dam.

3. What factors can affect the torque of a hinge in a dam?

There are various factors that can affect the torque of a hinge in a dam, including the magnitude and direction of the force applied, the distance from the force to the hinge, and the angle between the force and the hinge. Additionally, the materials and design of the hinge can also impact the torque.

4. How does the torque of a hinge in a dam relate to the overall stability of the dam?

The torque of a hinge in a dam is directly related to the stability of the dam. If the torque is too high, it can cause the hinge to fail and compromise the structural integrity of the dam. Therefore, it is important to carefully calculate and monitor the torque of hinges in a dam to ensure its stability.

5. What are some possible solutions for reducing the torque on a hinge in a dam?

There are a few possible solutions for reducing the torque on a hinge in a dam. One option is to decrease the force being applied to the hinge by redistributing the weight of the dam or adjusting the design. Another solution is to increase the distance between the force and the hinge, which would decrease the torque according to the equation. Additionally, using stronger or more durable materials for the hinge can help to reduce the torque.