Calculating Force using the Maxwell Stress Tensor

In summary, the problem involves calculating the force of magnetic attraction between the northern and southern hemispheres of a uniformly charged spinning spherical shell, using the Maxwell Stress Tensor. The formula for the tensor is T = (1/4π)[EE + BB – ½I(E2+B2)], and with the given parameters, most integrals will cancel due to symmetry. The solution may involve calculating Tzz and discarding terms with cosφ or sinφ from 0 to 2π.
RawrSpoon

Homework Statement

Calculate the force of magnetic attraction between the northern and southern hemispheres of a uniformly charged spinning spherical shell, with radius R, angular velocity ω, and surface charge density σ. Use the Maxwell Stress Tensor

Homework Equations

[tex]F=\oint \limits_S \! \vec{T} \cdot da - \epsilon_0 \mu_0 \frac {d}{dt} \int \limits_V S d \tau[/tex]
Because we're dealing with steady currents, the second term goes to zero.

I know that with a sphere, we have
[tex]da=r^2 sin \theta d \theta d \phi[/tex]

I also know that
[tex]B= \begin{array}{11} \frac {2 \mu_0 \sigma R \omega}{3}\hat{z} & inside \\ \frac {2 \mu_0 m}{3 r^3}(2 cos \theta \hat{r} - sin \theta \hat{\theta}) & outside \end{array} [/tex]
where
[tex]m=\frac{4}{3} \pi \sigma \omega R^4[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I think I find Tzz since Txz and Tyz would be 0 because Bx and By are zero?

I'm honestly very confused by tensors in general, I have a pretty good idea about what they do and how they work, but I don't really know how to work them myself. Please point me in the right direction, I'm very lost as to what to do and I don't want to seem like I'm being lazy but I've broken my head all day trying to figure out what to do. The solutions manual doesn't give me an answer that makes me feel like I understand what's going on, and I can't really find anywhere that breaks it down enough for me to get that aha moment where I get it.

Thank you very much for all help :)

Last edited:
Hi. The most useful formula i know for the Maxwell stress tensor is (in Gaussian units) the matrix form:
T = (1/4π)[EE + BB – ½I(E2+B2)],
Where I is the identity matrix and , for example:
EE = (Exi +Eyy +Ezk )2
= (Ex)2ii + (Ey)2jj + (Ez)2kk + ExEy(ij + ji) + ExEz(ik + ki) + EyEz(jk + kj)
Now in your case you have r = R and the symmetry will make almost all integrals vanish at the end so once you've converted all unit vectors in terms of i, j and k watch for integrals with terms cosφ or sinφ from 0 to 2π because you can discard them right away.
This type of calculation is typically tedious but straightforward: symmetry indeed cancels some terms but better going through the whole machinery once in a lifetime...

1. What is the Maxwell Stress Tensor?

The Maxwell Stress Tensor is a mathematical tool used in electromagnetism to calculate the forces exerted by electric and magnetic fields on a material medium. It is a 3x3 matrix that describes the stress (force per unit area) at a point in a material due to the electric and magnetic fields present at that point.

2. How is the Maxwell Stress Tensor calculated?

The Maxwell Stress Tensor can be calculated using the following formula:

Σi,j = ε0 (Ei x Bj)

where ε0 is the permittivity of free space, Ei and Bj are the components of the electric and magnetic fields, and x represents the cross product.

3. What are the physical units of the Maxwell Stress Tensor?

The units of the Maxwell Stress Tensor depend on the units used for the electric and magnetic fields. In SI units, the units are Newtons per square meter (N/m2). In CGS units, the units are dynes per square centimeter (dyn/cm2).

4. How is the Maxwell Stress Tensor used in practical applications?

The Maxwell Stress Tensor is used in many practical applications, such as in the design of electromagnetic devices and materials. It is also used in the study of fluid dynamics, as it can be used to calculate the forces exerted by electric and magnetic fields on a moving fluid. Additionally, the Maxwell Stress Tensor is used in the study of plasma physics to understand the behavior of charged particles in electric and magnetic fields.

5. Are there any limitations to using the Maxwell Stress Tensor?

While the Maxwell Stress Tensor is a powerful tool in electromagnetism, it does have some limitations. It assumes that the electric and magnetic fields are continuous and do not change over time. It also does not take into account any other forces acting on the material, such as gravitational or frictional forces. Additionally, the Maxwell Stress Tensor may not accurately describe the behavior of materials with nonlinear properties or in extreme conditions, such as high temperatures or pressures.