1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating force with only mass and distance known

1. Jul 22, 2010 #1
    Say I have a block with a known mass and surface area. If I apply an unknown force to the block and it travels a known distance how can I calculate the applied force. It seems simple if I had a known acceleration but I do not.
    PLEASE HELP!

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 22, 2010 #2
    You simply do not have enough information.

4. Jul 22, 2010 #3
    What other information would i need?

5. Jul 22, 2010 #4
    As AJ said not enough information is given. is this a example, if so can you type it up, or up load it?

6. Jul 22, 2010 #5
    Basically i have a block that is set on a peg 3.5" off of the ground. We apply a unknown pressure to it and see how far it travels. I need to find out what the force applied to the block is. How can i calculate this. If i do not have enough info what other info do i need?

7. Jul 22, 2010 #6
    It still isn't clear what you mean.

'Set on a peg' could mean any one of a number of scenarios.

How are you applying pressure? Do you know what exactly the word pressure actually means in physics? Or do you mean a force?

'See how far it travels' - In which direction, up? down? sideways?

You will need to explain in careful detail exactly what your experiment looks like if we are to help you. A proper drawing would be helpful (Not some hasty scribble - do it carefully).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook