Calculating force with only mass and distance known

• Thread starter GMCOWNER
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Force Mass
In summary, the conversation discusses a situation where a block with a known mass and surface area has an unknown force applied to it, causing it to travel a known distance. The person is seeking help in calculating the applied force, but it becomes clear that there is not enough information provided. The conversation highlights the need for a more detailed explanation of the experiment, including how the force is being applied and in which direction the block travels. A proper drawing is suggested as a helpful tool in understanding the situation.
GMCOWNER
Say I have a block with a known mass and surface area. If I apply an unknown force to the block and it travels a known distance how can I calculate the applied force. It seems simple if I had a known acceleration but I do not.
PLEASE HELP!

Physics news on Phys.org
You simply do not have enough information.

What other information would i need?

As AJ said not enough information is given. is this a example, if so can you type it up, or up load it?

Basically i have a block that is set on a peg 3.5" off of the ground. We apply a unknown pressure to it and see how far it travels. I need to find out what the force applied to the block is. How can i calculate this. If i do not have enough info what other info do i need?

It still isn't clear what you mean.

'Set on a peg' could mean anyone of a number of scenarios.

How are you applying pressure? Do you know what exactly the word pressure actually means in physics? Or do you mean a force?

'See how far it travels' - In which direction, up? down? sideways?

You will need to explain in careful detail exactly what your experiment looks like if we are to help you. A proper drawing would be helpful (Not some hasty scribble - do it carefully).

1. How do you calculate force with only mass and distance known?

According to Newton's Law of Universal Gravitation, the force between two objects is directly proportional to the product of their masses and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. This can be expressed as the formula F = G(m1m2)/d^2, where F is the force, G is the gravitational constant, m1 and m2 are the masses of the objects, and d is the distance between them.

2. Can you calculate force if the masses are in different units?

Yes, as long as the units are consistent, the calculation will be accurate. For example, if one mass is given in kilograms and the other in grams, you can convert the mass given in grams to kilograms by dividing it by 1000.

3. Is there a specific unit for force in this calculation?

The SI unit for force is Newton (N), which is equal to 1 kilogram meter per second squared (kg·m/s^2). However, force can also be expressed in other units such as pounds (lbs) or dynes (dyn).

4. Can this formula be used for any type of force?

No, this formula specifically calculates the force due to gravitational attraction between two objects. It does not account for other types of forces such as friction or electromagnetic forces.

5. How does distance affect the force calculated?

The force calculated using this formula is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between the two objects. This means that as the distance increases, the force decreases significantly. For example, doubling the distance between two objects will result in one-fourth of the original force.