Calculate combined friction on multiple different surfaces?

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the combined friction coefficient μ_combined for a cuboid on two different surfaces. The suggested method is to take the average of the two known coefficients of friction for each surface. However, this may be a simplified approach and may not account for certain details such as tiny bumps on the surface. A torque calculation with additional information about the point of application of the force could provide a more accurate result.
Serilla
Hello,

I have a cuboid on two different surfaces. I am applying a changeable force F to it, but it should stay on the same point / in static friction. I now want to calculate the combined (static) friction coefficient μ_combined out of the two known coefficients of cuboid to surface 1 μ_1 and cuboid to surface 2 μ_2. Forces (and if I forgot anything else) can be assumed to be known, it's just about calculating the combined friction coefficient.

But how am I calculating it?

My thoughts are that (e.g. mass and area of the cuboid is 50% on surface 1 and 50% on surface 2):
μ_combined = 0.5*μ_1 + 0.5*μ_2

Is that correct or is it too simplified?
Thanks for the help and sorry for my bad english, I'm not a native speaker.

Attachments

• 20190528_094009.jpg
    20190528_094009.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 332
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It will depend on details of the block and the surface (e.g. tiny bumps in it) that go beyond this simplified description. It will be somewhere between the two coefficients of friction but we can't know where.

A torque calculation could put some slightly tighter bounds on the possibilities -- if we had additional information about the point of application of the force.

1. How do you calculate combined friction on multiple different surfaces?

The combined friction on multiple different surfaces can be calculated by adding the individual friction forces of each surface. This can be done by multiplying the coefficient of friction of each surface by the normal force acting on it, and then adding all the resulting forces together.

2. What is the coefficient of friction?

The coefficient of friction is a measure of the amount of friction between two surfaces in contact. It is a dimensionless quantity and is dependent on the nature of the two surfaces in contact.

3. How does the normal force affect friction?

The normal force is the force that acts perpendicular to the surface of contact between two objects. It affects friction by increasing or decreasing the force of friction between two surfaces. The greater the normal force, the greater the friction force.

4. Can the combined friction force ever be greater than the normal force?

No, the combined friction force can never be greater than the normal force. This is because the coefficient of friction is a constant value and the friction force is directly proportional to the normal force. Therefore, as the normal force increases, the friction force also increases, but it can never exceed the normal force.

5. How does surface area affect friction?

The surface area of contact between two objects does not directly affect friction. The coefficient of friction and the normal force are the primary factors that determine the amount of friction between two surfaces. However, an increase in surface area can distribute the normal force over a larger area, resulting in a decrease in the pressure between the two surfaces and potentially reducing the friction force.