Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating G from landing Aircraft

1. Mar 10, 2008 #1

Hopefully I have posted this in the correct section;

Can anyone help with the equation(s) & assumptions required to specifically calculate the landing G load of a modern jet aircraft.

I'm trying to calculate the G deceleration rate of an aircraft on landing based on the initial vertical descent rate on landing in feet per minute. For example a typical jet aircraft landing would give a decent rate around 200 feet per min at impact & a heavy landing would be around 700 feet per minute at impact so I want to find out the G load of the two.

Typical landing weight of 55,000kg & strut compression around 40cm as an approximation as it will vary with impact force. Also typical speed of 130kts at landing.

Looking for a simple way to start with decent rate in feet per minute & depending on certain assumptions, still air, strut compression, temperature & other assumptions arrive at the landing G load/impact force

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted