1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating G from landing Aircraft

1. Mar 10, 2008 #1

jkl

Hopefully I have posted this in the correct section;

Can anyone help with the equation(s) & assumptions required to specifically calculate the landing G load of a modern jet aircraft.

I'm trying to calculate the G deceleration rate of an aircraft on landing based on the initial vertical descent rate on landing in feet per minute. For example a typical jet aircraft landing would give a decent rate around 200 feet per min at impact & a heavy landing would be around 700 feet per minute at impact so I want to find out the G load of the two.

Typical landing weight of 55,000kg & strut compression around 40cm as an approximation as it will vary with impact force. Also typical speed of 130kts at landing.

Looking for a simple way to start with decent rate in feet per minute & depending on certain assumptions, still air, strut compression, temperature & other assumptions arrive at the landing G load/impact force

cheers

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted