Obligatory Newton to g force question, accelerometers drop

In summary, the conversation is about conducting drop tests using a forklift, an accelerometer, and various materials. The force of the object being dropped is measured at 46403.666 Newtons and the mass and drop distance are also given. The conversation also discusses the issue of sampling rate and estimating stopping time. The question is raised as to why the accelerometer outputs force instead of acceleration.
hxtasy
To summarize, I am doing some drop test by hanging an object off of a fork lift forks, raising it, dropping it onto either concrete floor or some foam/dampening material. an accelerometer is placed on the object being dropped (epoxied on).

if i am getting 46403.666 Newtons as the force, how much G force is that equivalent too? the mass of the object is 31.07 kg, the drop distance is 0.1524 m

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
details

i have a 3/4" aluminum plate that is say 20x20", underneath of that i have bolted a 3/4" piece of particle board.

i drop it using a quick release mechanism (after leveling it to the best i can using a digital bulls eye level, within +/- 1°)

From a height of 6" it is landing on a pile of polyethylene extruded foam, 4" worth, pretty flat. beneath that is concrete floor. I was originally dropping it right on the concrete, but the deceleration spike was so high and the sample rate of my accelerometer was so low that i was aliasing and getting different results each time. The peaks were always different since my sample rate is less than 2 ms per sample. the foam has slowed it down enough to where i can actually see what is going on now. i can achieve higher peak G's by simply dropping from a higher distance.

so the problem is i am still not 100% sure that i have an adequate sample rate (you know fs/2 and all that fun stuff). I made pretty good assumptions by doing a drop test repeatedly from x height and getting the same result every time, and then another test where i did 6 inch, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1, and have got a decline in the peak G force - as you can see from the graphs i attached. another test you can see (test 1c and test 1d) i have dropped two times from 1" (as close as i could measure) and got exactly the same peak within two decimal places and similar damping oscillations after.

so again i think its safe to assume i am actually sampling the right thing now.

I would like to calculate this to prove that i am close to the real world results. however there are a few assumptions that have to be made. one of them would be the distance traveled after impact. on concrete i can assume this is a very small number, since it would be the compression of the particle board only, which can't be more than a couple millimeters. the concrete floor and the 3/4" aluminum block are presumably negligible.

i am using this site as a guidline for calculations

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/flobi.html

if i am getting 46403.666 Newtons as the force, how much G force is that equivalent too?

Any input is greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• g force physicsforums.JPG
    g force physicsforums.JPG
    34.1 KB · Views: 533
  • physicforums accel test drop.JPG
    physicforums accel test drop.JPG
    15.4 KB · Views: 626
  • physicforums calculations.JPG
    physicforums calculations.JPG
    52.5 KB · Views: 745
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
if i am getting 46403.666 Newtons as the force, how much G force is that equivalent too? the mass of the object is 31.07 kg...

Apply Newton's second law to work out the deceleration.

As for the sampling rate... You could estimate the "stopping time" by measuring the stopping distance and applying the equations of motion. You will need to sample somewhat faster than that.

if i am getting 46403.666 Newtons as the force, how much G force is that equivalent too? the mass of the object is 31.07 kg, the drop distance is 0.1524 m

One question... Why does the accelerometer give the output as a force not an acceleration?

What is Newton's second law of motion?

Newton's second law of motion states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on the object and inversely proportional to its mass. This can be mathematically represented as F=ma, where F is force, m is mass, and a is acceleration.

How does this law relate to g force and accelerometers?

G force is a measurement of acceleration and is often used to describe the force experienced by objects due to gravity. Accelerometers are devices that measure acceleration, and they can be used to measure g force. According to Newton's second law, the greater the force acting on an object, the greater its acceleration will be.

Why is it important to consider g force and accelerometers in certain situations?

G force and accelerometers are important in situations where objects are experiencing high levels of acceleration, such as in a car accident or during spaceflight. Understanding the forces involved can help engineers design safer vehicles and equipment.

How are accelerometers used in everyday life?

Accelerometers are used in many everyday devices, such as smartphones, fitness trackers, and video game controllers. They can also be found in cars, airplanes, and other vehicles to measure acceleration and inform safety systems.

Are there any limitations to using accelerometers to measure g force?

While accelerometers can provide valuable information about acceleration and g force, they do have limitations. They may not be able to accurately measure high levels of force, and they may be affected by external factors such as vibrations or temperature changes. Additionally, they can only measure acceleration in a specific direction, so multiple accelerometers may be needed to fully capture an object's motion.