Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating generator function in canonical transformation

1. Apr 16, 2008 #1
    I'm searching for an example of how to find out generator function for a canonical transformation, when new canonical variables are given in terms of old variables. Any help is greatly appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 17, 2008 #2
    See any classical mechanics textbook, such as Goldstein.

4. Aug 30, 2008 #3
    Let us take, for example, a generator function of type 2 (please see goldstein), i.e , F2(q,P,t) function of the old coordinates (q) and the new momenta (P), and consider the following non-relativistic transformation:

x=x'+Vt , x'- new (spacial) coordinate
    t=t' , (time remains the same)

as you can see, you will also have to know how the momenta transforms (in order to determine F2)

px=mV+px' , px' new momentum (px'=P, if you prefer)

For the type 2 generator function,

p=dF2/dq (partial derivative)
    Q=dF2/dP (partial derivative)

So, all you have to do is integrate, i.e

px is your old momentum, therefore F2 = (mV+px')x + A
    now lets determine A,

"A" is not a constant because if you take dF2/dP it won't equal the new momenta. There's still a " - Vtpx' "
    lacking in the equation (with the minus sign included).
    Well if that quatity is missing , all we have to do is add it to the equation (A=-Vtpx').

So here it is, the F2(q,P,t) generator function for this non-relativistic transformation is:

F2 = (mV+px')x - Vtpx'

I down know if there is another (better) way to do it, but I hope it helps.

Best regards

Rico B.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?