Hydrogen atom Hamiltonian in magnetic field and energy shifts

  • Thread starter Thread starter hdsncts
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Hamiltonian
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
hdsncts
Messages
10
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Write down the full Hamiltonian for a hydrogen atom in an external field. Next, calculate the energy changes deltaE (not absolute E) of the three orbitals Y01, Y11, and Y-11 induced by the applied magnetic field Bz. Interpret your results with respect to your knowledge of the time-evolution of the wavefunctions.




Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution


In all honesty I have no idea how to start this. I know what a Hamiltonian operator is but that's about it. I understand that this forum isn't so that other people can do my homework for me, so can someone help me start in the right direction? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
If you know what a Hamilitonian is, you'll know that half of it is the same for everything, and the other half is dependent on the environment. Which is which, and which half is dependent on the environment?

Also, can I clear up how your notation for orbitals works? Looks like it might be different from the one used in my course last year.