Calculating Heat Required for Compressed Gas to Become a Gas Again

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
whatmough
Messages
4
Reaction score
0
I don't know what to research or where to start but I would like to know much energy a compressed gas a requires to turn back into a gas if it is a liquid. Is there a term I should research and a formula like with specific heat?

The problem I am trying to solve is how much heat does X units of say freon for example absorb from the air when it goes to stap (? 14.7 psi).

Its been a while since I have been out of grade 10 physics so excuse my stupidity...
 
Physics news on Phys.org
If you are looking at a phase change between gas and liquid you should look at stuff like 'latent heat' and 'heat of vaporization'.
 
Thanks I have read a bit but am still stuck... Where do I start?

I want to see how much freon needs to change state from liquid to gas to absorb about 22kJ of energy...
 
Keep looking, I'm finding values like 150kJ/kg for the latent heat. So how much to do 22kJ?