Calculating Ideal Gas Volume with the Ideal Gas Law

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 7K views
jaded18
Messages
149
Reaction score
0
Consider an ideal gas at 27.0 degrees Celsius and 1.00 atmosphere pressure. Imagine the molecules to be uniformly spaced, with each molecule at the center of a small cube.

What is the length L of an edge of each small cube if adjacent cubes touch but don't overlap?
______________
I know that the ideal gas law states V=nRT/p and that in this case R=8.2057(10^-5) m^3 (atm/mol*K), p=1atm, T=27+273K. What is n? I can't solve without n!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Simply plug and chug.

You may be forgetting to convert 27 centigrade to an absolute temperature scale such as kelvin.Never mind that; I didn't see the second part of your post.As for n, think about how many atoms you are finding the "cube" for.
 
Last edited:
No you are approaching it the right way.

Think about n. How many moles is one particle?
 
are you looking for 6.02*10^23 as the answer to your ^ question? sorry don't get it even if that's what you're looking for