Finding the series form of (x - tan⁻¹x)/x³

  • Thread starter Thread starter G01
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Integral Series
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
G01
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Messages
2,709
Reaction score
19
[tex]\int \frac{x-\tan^{-1} x}{x^3}[/tex]

I know the series form of tan-1 x = [tex]\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} \frac{x^{2n+1}}{2n+1}[/tex]

I know I need to subtract the x from that series and divide the x cubed form that series but i can't seem to be able to right the resulting series in a general form, any hints?

I thought it would be: [tex]-1/3x + \sum_{n=2}^{\infty} -x^{2n+2}/(2n+1)(2n+2)[/tex]. But this isn't it. Any Help?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't see how you arrived at that series. What you may want to consider doing also, for simplicity's sake, is to separate the integral into one that can be easily evaluated and one that should be done by series. Redo your solution paying particular attention to integrating -arctan(x)/x^3
 
Dividing by x^3 just reduces the power of x by 3, ie, x^n/x^3=x^(n-3). Your answer is close.