Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Calculating lifetime of a moving pion

1. Nov 12, 2008 #1

crh

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

What is the speed of a pion if its average lifetime is measured to be 4.91E-8s? At rest, its average lifetime is 2.60E-6s. What is the particle's lifetime at rest?

2. Relevant equations

[tex]\Delta t[/tex] = [tex]\Delta t0[/tex] / [tex]\sqrt{1-(v2/c2}[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

I don't want to type in all the numbers in the equation so I will tell you where they go.
    [tex]\Delta t[/tex]=4.91E-8s
    [tex]\Delta t0[/tex]=2.60E-8s

I have everything plugged into where it needs to go, I just can't derive the answer. I am needing to find "v" in terms of "c", if that makes sense. My answer will be v= #.##c
    Can someone help me.
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 12, 2008 #2

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Well, you have the relation
    [tex]\Delta t = \Delta t_0 / \sqrt{1 - v^2 / c^2}[/tex]
    (click that to see the LaTeX code by the way, you'll see it's much easier than and :smile:)

You have [itex]\Delta t[/itex] and [itex]\Delta t_0[/tex], so basically it comes down to applying your math skills to solve for v.

[Hint: let [itex]\beta = v / c[/itex] and solve for beta, that will give you the velocity already expressed in c ].

[Second hint: If you don't see how to solve the equation right away, let [itex] x = \sqrt{1 - \beta^2}[/itex] and solve for x first.]

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook