1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating lifetime of a moving pion

1. Nov 12, 2008 #1

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

What is the speed of a pion if its average lifetime is measured to be 4.91E-8s? At rest, its average lifetime is 2.60E-6s. What is the particle's lifetime at rest?

2. Relevant equations

[tex]\Delta t[/tex] = [tex]\Delta t0[/tex] / [tex]\sqrt{1-(v2/c2}[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

I don't want to type in all the numbers in the equation so I will tell you where they go.
    [tex]\Delta t[/tex]=4.91E-8s
    [tex]\Delta t0[/tex]=2.60E-8s

I have everything plugged into where it needs to go, I just can't derive the answer. I am needing to find "v" in terms of "c", if that makes sense. My answer will be v= #.##c
    Can someone help me.
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 12, 2008 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Well, you have the relation
    [tex]\Delta t = \Delta t_0 / \sqrt{1 - v^2 / c^2}[/tex]
    (click that to see the LaTeX code by the way, you'll see it's much easier than and :smile:)

You have [itex]\Delta t[/itex] and [itex]\Delta t_0[/tex], so basically it comes down to applying your math skills to solve for v.

[Hint: let [itex]\beta = v / c[/itex] and solve for beta, that will give you the velocity already expressed in c ].

[Second hint: If you don't see how to solve the equation right away, let [itex] x = \sqrt{1 - \beta^2}[/itex] and solve for x first.]
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?